Even order of G

by fk378
Tags: order
Share this thread:
fk378
Sep16-08, 08:50 PM
P: 367
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
If G is a group of even order, prove it has an element a=/ e satisfying a^2=e.

3. The attempt at a solution
I showed that a=a^-1, ie a is its own inverse.
So, can't every element in G be its own inverse? Why does G have to be even ordered?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Dick
Sep16-08, 10:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
The problem says "IF G is group of even order", that's why G has even order. The question of whether there is a nontrivial group of odd order such that a^2=e for all a is a completely different question. Do you want to try and solve it? You don't have to since you already solved the original question. Didn't you? Though you didn't really say how.
Dick
Sep16-08, 11:22 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
If you want to know, then if a^2=e for a not equal to e, the G has a subgroup of order 2. Doesn't it? What does that mean?

fk378
Sep16-08, 11:32 PM
Even order of G

Subgroup of order 2, then the subgroup has 2 elements. a and a-inverse. But can't there exist a b with a b-inverse in the subgroup as well? Why are there only 2 elements?
Dick
Sep17-08, 08:31 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
{a,a^(-1)} isn't a subgroup. And it doesn't even have two elements. It's certainly not what I was considering. I don't think you are really thinking about this.
fk378
Sep17-08, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry, I'm new to proofs. Can you explain your last post? Why are there not 2 elements in {a, a^-1} and why is this not a subgroup?
fk378
Sep17-08, 09:33 PM
I got some hints from the TA:

Make 2 equivalence relations, one where a~a and another a~a-inverse
Show that every class size is 2 or 1
Show that the sum of the sizes of the equivalence classes=the size of the group

If what the question is asking is false, prove it is equivalent to "for all a =/ 0, the size of a equals 2." This gives a contradiction to the size of G being even.
Dick
Sep17-08, 10:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by fk378 View Post
I'm sorry, I'm new to proofs. Can you explain your last post? Why are there not 2 elements in {a, a^-1} and why is this not a subgroup?
You assumed a^2=e for any a in G. That means a=a^(-1). That means {a,a^(-a)} has only one element. It's not a subgroup since if a!=e, e isn't in it. The subgroup is was referring to is {e,a}.
Dick
Sep17-08, 10:29 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by fk378 View Post
I got some hints from the TA:

Make 2 equivalence relations, one where a~a and another a~a-inverse
Show that every class size is 2 or 1
Show that the sum of the sizes of the equivalence classes=the size of the group

If what the question is asking is false, prove it is equivalent to "for all a =/ 0, the size of a equals 2." This gives a contradiction to the size of G being even.
I've begun to realize I'm confusing the original question with one you subsequently posed. Did you get the original question? Yes, pair a with a^(-1) for all elements in the group. e pairs with itself. If no other element pairs with itself then the order of the group must be odd. Right?
fk378
Sep17-08, 10:46 PM
Not quite following...in fact I don't even know how to use the hints the TA gave me.
Dick
Sep17-08, 10:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Ok, let's go back to the original question. I thought you said you had it and you don't. Forget all of the stuff in between, please? Think of all of the sets {a,a^(-1)} for a in G. Every element is in ONE of those sets, yes? And G is the union of all of those sets, also ok? If you don't agree, say so now.
fk378
Sep17-08, 11:09 PM
I agree.
Dick
Sep17-08, 11:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
I hope so. Now if a=a^(-1), then the set {a,a^(-1)} has one element, otherwise it has two. Still with me?
fk378
Sep17-08, 11:19 PM
Yes, still following.
Dick
Sep17-08, 11:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Great! So G is the union of a bunch of sets. Some have two elements, some have one. Now {e} is one of those sets, since e=e^(-1). And {e} only has one element. Suppose n1 is the number of sets that have one element and n2 is the number that have two elements. Then the number of elements in G is n1*1+n2*2. Given that the number of elements in G is even, is it possible n1=1?
fk378
Sep17-08, 11:29 PM
Oh, I'm lost here. I thought G was made up of sets of 2 elements, not two and one. I understand that e is one of the sets of one element, though, you implied that there are more.

Where did you get n2*2 from? How do you know there are 2 sets with 2 elements in them?
Dick
Sep17-08, 11:35 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Sorry. I meant n1 and n2 to be different numbers. Try this "Suppose a is the number of sets that have one element and b is the number that have two elements. Then the number of members of G is a*1+b*2. Given that the number of members of G is even, is it possible a=1?" If G has an member such that g=g^(-1), then {g,g^(-1)} has only one element. There may be other members that belong to one element sets.
fk378
Sep18-08, 12:02 AM
it is possible for a=1, right? e could be the only element which is its own multiplicative inverse.

Register to reply