Register to reply

Bertrand's Box Paradox and Monty Hall Problem

by Quincy
Tags: bertrand, hall, monty, paradox
Share this thread:
Quincy
Sep27-08, 12:47 PM
P: 225
This thing is making me pull my hair out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand%27s_box_paradox Can someone give me a good explanation of this?

As for the Monty Hall Problem, I think I understand it. This is how I think of it: There is a 1/3 possibilty of picking the correct door and 2/3 possibility of picking the wrong door. And after one of the empty doors has been revealed, then by switching your choice, that 2/3 possibility of picking the wrong door becomes a 2/3 possibility of picking the correct door. -- Is this a legitimate way of understanding it?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Oerg
Sep27-08, 02:06 PM
P: 364
Quote Quote by Quincy View Post
This thing is making me pull my hair out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand%27s_box_paradox Can someone give me a good explanation of this?
All the explanation was trying to say was that when you drew a gold coin, there is a 1/3 chance of drawing each gold coin of the three gold coins. 2 of these gold coins when checked with its partner will give another gold since both are in the same drawer whereas the last gold coin is with a silver coin in a drawer. Therefore, the chance that the partner coin is gold is 2/3.
LAF
Oct6-08, 03:21 PM
P: 31
Monty Hall Problem: itīs easy to understand it with 10 doors. There is a 1/10 possibilty of picking the correct door and 9/10 possibility of picking the wrong door. You make your choice. And after 8 of the empty doors has been revealed, you choice still 1/10 possibilty of picking the correct door and the other closed door is 9/10 possibility of picking the correct door.

Register to reply