What to eat before big test?

by G01
Tags: test
G01
Oct14-08, 09:18 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
OK. As many of you know, thanks to my incessant complaining , I am taking the Physics GRE this Saturday. I have done all the studying I could possibly do. I have more physics memorized than I ever thought possible!

This week, I plan to focus on physically and mentally preparing myself. That means eating well and getting good amounts of sleep. It also means relaxing as much as possible.

So, on the topic of eating well, what are good foods to eat before an exam? I am assuming I should focus on lean protein, lots of fruits and vegetables and to not overeat. Is there anything else I should worry about in regards to eating correctly?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
fileen
Oct14-08, 09:26 PM
P: 67
avoid sugar and simple carbs. Also, I always take a complete B vitamin complex. It may be all in my head, but I find I just feel generally better and more focused. I can live on way less sleep and get a lot more done in a day. I originally started taking it for depression, and although it didnt really help me with that, it definitely makes me feel better physically. You may not be into it but yoga is a great relaxer if you can get right into it and close off your thoughts. Tea is suppose to help with focus and relaxation, and my mom is always telling me to eat blue berries (bleck)
waht
Oct14-08, 09:27 PM
P: 1,636
I usually consume a power bar or two before a significant exam. The reason is to keep the endurance up rather than to improve any skills. If you master the material then it's just smooth sailing. Fruits and vegetables is part of a regular diet.

lisab
Oct14-08, 09:41 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917

What to eat before big test?

Go easy on the caffeine - it does help the brain to wake up, but it wakes up your bladder even more.

Good luck, French fry guy !
Evo
Oct14-08, 09:42 PM
Mentor
P: 25,964
Quote Quote by G01 View Post
OK. As many of you know, thanks to my incessant complaining , I am taking the Physics GRE this Saturday. I have done all the studying I could possibly do. I have more physics memorized than I ever thought possible!

This week, I plan to focus on physically and mentally preparing myself. That means eating well and getting good amounts of sleep. It also means relaxing as much as possible.

So, on the topic of eating well, what are good foods to eat before an exam? I am assuming I should focus on lean protein, lots of fruits and vegetables and to not overeat. Is there anything else I should worry about in regards to eating correctly?
I wouldn't make any changes in your diet just before a major test.

Think about how certain foods you normally eat make you feel try to eat something that won't make you drowsy.

The last thing you want to do is eat something that you aren't used to or an amount you aren't used to as you could end up feeling bad and ruining your chances at the test.
rootX
Oct14-08, 10:52 PM
P: 1,295
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I wouldn't make any changes in your diet just before a major test.
Neither me.

But, I read Zen poems sometimes. So, I guess you should try some activities that relaxes you and make you forget about all the worldly tensions.

Maybe that's why I randomly smile during exams time when everyone is stressed out and draw smiles all over on my exam paper :)
Ouabache
Oct15-08, 12:38 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,327
Quote Quote by fileen View Post
avoid sugar and simple carbs. Also, I always take a complete B vitamin complex. .. my mom is always telling me to eat blueberries
I agree with fileen, instead of simple carbs, complex carbs such as a bowl of oatmeal with some fruit takes longer to digest and I find, yields energy over a much longer period of time. Blueberries is a good suggestion, not only are they tastey , they are high in antioxidants. If animal studies are a good indicator, it appears to improve short-term memory. If you don't care for oatmeal, brown rice and whole wheat items are also good source of complex carbs.

Going along with Evo's suggestion, instead of eating things you are not used to, try them out ahead of time and see how your body reacts. You don't want any surprises from your stomach while you're taking an exam.
offtheleft
Oct15-08, 12:55 AM
P: 148
dont change anything. your body is used to something already and a change could throw it off.
Helios
Oct15-08, 12:57 AM
P: 144
I have researched this for chess tournament performance. The answer is grapefruit juice. The quick-dissolving sugars go right to the blood for brain energy. Don't eat much. Blood is needed for the brain and not the stomach. Also deep steady breathing is important. Sometimes when we concentrate, we forget to breathe! It's true. Often you hear someone let out a big exhalation in the midst of difficult concentration.
Cyrus
Oct15-08, 01:06 AM
P: 4,780
............seriously man?

Food. Eat food.
Kurdt
Oct15-08, 04:58 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
I never used to eat anything, but I have a funny tummy.
Jimmy Snyder
Oct15-08, 05:35 AM
P: 2,163
At my age, I'm always told to prepare for a test by eating nothing for 24 hours prior. However, assuming you are still young, Be sure to eat a hearty breakfast:

Chilled Artichoke Soup with Truffle Butter

Orzo "Risotto Style", Parsley Emulsion
Spanish Octopus Bolognese

Rabbit "Ballotine" with Truffle Caramelized Quince and Roasted Fig, Natural Jus Flavored with Lemon

2004 Vin de Pays d'Oc, "Le Roc"
tribdog
Oct15-08, 08:15 AM
P: 689
Can you get ahold of some brains? I've never eaten them, but if you have to pick one thing specific to eat before a test they seem like an obvious choice.
Judging from your post though I'd say a glass of orange juice and a Prozac. You are just too wound up. mellow out, you know the material. the rest is just filling in the dots. Its a piece of cake. Hey, piece of cake for breakfast works too.
tribdog
Oct15-08, 08:21 AM
P: 689
Quote Quote by jimmysnyder View Post
At my age, I'm always told to prepare for a test by eating nothing for 24 hours prior. However, assuming you are still young, Be sure to eat a hearty breakfast:

Orzo "Risotto Style", Parsley Emulsion
Spanish Octopus Bolognese

Rabbit "Ballotine" with Truffle Caramelized Quince and Roasted Fig, Natural Jus Flavored with Lemon

2004 Vin de Pays d'Oc, "Le Roc"
I only understood 22 out of 34 words in that breakfast
Style Parsley Emulsion
Spanish Octopus
Rabbit with Truffle Caramelized and Roasted Fig, Natural Flavored with Lemon
siddharth
Oct15-08, 08:35 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,198
Quote Quote by G01 View Post

I think you shouldn't change your dietary pattern just before the test. Best of luck G01, I'm sure you'll do well!

P.S: I'm writing the test too on November 8th. Don't forget Positronium :)
G01
Oct15-08, 08:43 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
............seriously man?

Food. Eat food.
It is so clear now! Thanks Cyrus. I was trying to eat cardboard the past couple days, but now you say food! So simple!

Seriously though, there are some bad things to eat right before a test. For example, if you eat too may simple sugars, like candy bars or sugary drinks, you may run out of energy before the test is over, since the sugar will be processed too quickly and you'll end up with lower than average blood sugar ~2 hours later. Since this is a 3 hour test, I don't want that to happen.

Quote Quote by siddharth View Post
I think you shouldn't change your dietary pattern just before the test. Best of luck G01, I'm sure you'll do well!

P.S: I'm writing the test too on November 8th. Don't forget Positronium :)
[tex]E_n=\frac{-6.8eV}{n^2}[/tex]

Good luck to you as well, siddharth.
Topher925
Oct15-08, 10:10 AM
P: 1,672
I always pound one of these down in the morning. Keeps me goin all day, kinda like ODing on Ritalin. Its got something like 1200% B12 per serving. And the large bottles are over 4 servings!

JasonRox
Oct15-08, 10:57 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,328
Seriously though, how can you get exhausted from writing exams besides getting a cramp in your hand.

If you get exhausted, you need to see a doctor.

Register to reply