Register to reply

Heat transfer equation within soils

by riscy
Tags: equation, heat, soils, transfer
Share this thread:
riscy
Oct17-08, 10:32 PM
P: 2
I'm seek simple equation that estimate the heat transfer (W/K.m2), conductivity and thermal diffusion rate between cylinder metal rod, about 2 meter length with build in heater of say 10KW and the soil of different type of conductivity and thermal diffusion stated in most text book.

For example I insert a cylinder rod 10meter within the soil (relative to the surface) and place temperature probe 2 meter from the cylinder, I like a equation to estimate the temperature at the cylinder and the temperature probe and thus validate the actual measurement.

I'm only interested in conduction (ie convection and radiation could be assumed negligible).

The idea is to measure soil performance in removing heat as part of Ground Source Heat Pump pipe networks.

I prefer to avoid complex solution involving vector or such, since withdealing with simple problem, I willing to accept reasonable assumption about the solution.

Please submit comment/paper to riscy00@googlemail.com, no spam please.

Richard Payne
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Naty1
Oct18-08, 08:47 AM
P: 5,632
Why? surely there is data on different soil types for engineering applications.

search google for heat conduction of soil...IEEE has data...
RTW69
Oct21-08, 05:10 AM
P: 374
There has been a lot of research done on heat extraction from soils by ground source heat pumps. I believe Oklahoma State University has a ground source heat pump research program (or did have). Moisture content of the soil is an important factor. ASHRAE Handbooks would probably be useful as well.

Register to reply