Trampoline Question

by vpv
Tags: trampoline
Share this thread:
vpv
Nov8-08, 11:06 AM
P: 23
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 60 kg person jumps from a platform onto a trampoline 10 m below, stretching it 1.0 m from its initial position. Assumin that the trampoline behaves like a simple elastic spring, how much will it stretch if the same person jumps from a height of 20 m?

2. Relevant equations
Law of Conservation of Energy
Ek = 0.5mv^2
Eg = mgh
Ee = 0.5kx^2
Fx = kx

3. The attempt at a solution
Really didn't understand the question at all. I figured since the guy is jumping of the platform, velocity at that instance would be 0. If the guy landed on the trampoline, his velocity would be 0 (but i don't know about this). The equillibrium of spring is 0 when the guy jumps of platform so there is no elastic potential. I am guessing there is some gravitational potential as the platform is above the trampoline. But I am consistently getting the wrong answer. The answer is 1.4 m. How would you get that?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Hootenanny
Nov8-08, 11:11 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,772
Can you start by writing out an equation representing the principle of conservation of energy?
vpv
Nov8-08, 11:13 AM
Ek1 + Eg1 + Ee1 = Ek2 +Eg2 +Ee2
0.5mv1^2 + mgh1 + 0.5kx1^2 +FaD = 0.5mv2^2 + mgh2 + 0.5kx2^2 +FfD

Hootenanny
Nov8-08, 11:18 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Trampoline Question

Quote Quote by vpv View Post
Ek1 + Eg1 + Ee1 = Ek2 +Eg2 +Ee2
0.5mv1^2 + mgh1 + 0.5kx1^2 +FaD = 0.5mv2^2 + mgh2 + 0.5kx2^2 +FfD
I think you're over-complicating things a little here. If we ignore air resistance, then there are no dissipative forces present and therefore the total energy of the system must remain constant.

So, what type of energy does the system posses before the person jumps and what type of energy does the system posses after the person has landed on the trampoline?
vpv
Nov8-08, 11:50 AM
Quote Quote by Hootenanny View Post
I think you're over-complicating things a little here. If we ignore air resistance, then there are no dissipative forces present and therefore the total energy of the system must remain constant.

So, what type of energy does the system posses before the person jumps and what type of energy does the system posses after the person has landed on the trampoline?
Um before the person jumps, he possesses gravitational potential, no? and after he lands, the spring possesses elastic potential.
I think.
Hootenanny
Nov8-08, 12:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Um before the person jumps, he possesses gravitational potential, no? and after he lands, the spring possesses elastic potential.
I think.
Correct . So, can you put what you just said in equation form?
vpv
Nov8-08, 12:21 PM
mgh1 = 0.5kx2^2

but how do i find K?
I tried Fg/x which is 588 N/m. I don't know if that is correct tho Caz using that K value, I get a final answer of 6.3 m which is not even close to the answer at the back. Maybe the answer at the back is wrong?
Hootenanny
Nov8-08, 12:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
mgh1 = 0.5kx2^2?
That would be correct. Can you now apply this equation to the two cases:

(1) Where the person jumps from 10m
(2) Where the person jumps from 20m
vpv
Nov8-08, 12:45 PM
Quote Quote by Hootenanny View Post
That would be correct. Can you now apply this equation to the two cases:

(1) Where the person jumps from 10m
(2) Where the person jumps from 20m
Two words.

You're a Genius.
Wait thats three.

But I want to know why I cant find the k value the way I did. I used Fg/x to find K. Can you tell me what I did wrong?
Hootenanny
Nov8-08, 12:56 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Two words.

You're a Genius.
Wait thats three.

But I want to know why I cant find the k value the way I did. I used Fg/x to find K. Can you tell me what I did wrong?
Note that the force exerted by the spring not only opposes the weight of the trampolinist, but must also account for the acceleration of the trampolinist.
vpv
Nov8-08, 01:03 PM
AcceleratioN?? How does he accelerate? Do you mean that he decelerates as he lands on the trampoline and his V = 0?
Hootenanny
Nov8-08, 01:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
AcceleratioN?? How does he accelerate? Do you mean that he decelerates as he lands on the trampoline and his V = 0?
Yes, acceleration is simply a change in velocity - when the speed is increasing or decreasing is irrelevant. Generally in kinematics, one simply talks about acceleration rather than deceleration as things can get a little confusing.

Register to reply