Proving n2 is Not Congruent to 2 (mod6) for All Integers: Discrete Math Help

• Thread starter mamma_mia66
  • Start date
In summary, to show that n^2 \neq 2 (mod 6) for all n in Z, we can use proof by induction. First, we pick a value of n (such as n = 2) for which the statement is true. Then, we assume that for n = k, the statement is true. Using this assumption, we can show that for n = k + 1, the statement is still true. This proves that the statement is true for all values of n in Z.
mamma_mia66

Homework Statement

Show that n2 [tex]\neq[/tex]2 (mod6) for all n in Z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0 1 2 3 4 5
0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 0 1 2 3 4 5
2 0 2 4 0 2 4
3 0 3 0 3 0 3
4 0 4 2 0 4 2
5 0 5 4 3 2 1

I did only the table for mod 6 and then I don't have an idea what to do.
I am not even sure if I understand what exactly I have to do with this problem.
Please help me if you can.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm...have you tried proof by contradiction? That is, assume that [itex]n^2 \equiv 2 \pmod{6}[/itex]...what does that imply?

I did not attempt a solution but you might want to rewrite the statement.

n2 congruent to 2 mod 6 is the same as n2 - 2 is a multiple of 6. So you might want to define f(n) = n2 - 2 and show what happens when you divide f(n) by 6.

I think the only hint I get for this was the reminder needs to be [tex]\neq[/tex]2.

I am gessing that has something to do with division Algorithm. I will try the above ideas.

VeeEight said that "n[tex]^2[/tex] congruent to 2 mod 6 is the same as n[tex]^2[/tex] - 2 is a a multiple of 6."

That's also the same as saying that n[tex]^2 - 2 \equiv[/tex] 0 mod 6.

This one is ripe for a proof by induction.

I don't think I know how to do it by induction. Thank you. I will try and I will come back again.

Pick a value of n for which your statement is true, such as n = 2.

Assume that for n = k, your statement is true. IOW, assume that k^2 != 2 mod 6.
Now show that for n = k + 1, (k + 1)^2 != 2 mod 6, using the induction hypothesis (the thing you assumed in the previous step).

What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separated values. It is used to study and analyze structures such as integers, graphs, and logical statements.

Why is discrete math important?

Discrete math is important because it provides the foundation for many other fields of study, including computer science, cryptography, and engineering. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What topics are typically covered in discrete math?

Some common topics in discrete math include sets, relations, functions, combinatorics, graph theory, and Boolean algebra. These topics are often applied to real-world problems in computer science and other fields.

How can I improve my understanding of discrete math?

Practicing problem-solving and working through examples is a great way to improve your understanding of discrete math. You can also seek out online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems, or join a study group or online forum to discuss concepts with others.

What are some real-world applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has many real-world applications, including coding and cryptography, data compression, network design, scheduling and optimization, and game theory. It is also used in fields such as biology, finance, and linguistics.