Basis of a vector space proof

by Frillth
Tags: basis, proof, space, vector
Share this thread:
Frillth
Nov11-08, 07:38 PM
P: 80
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let V be a vector space, and suppose {v_1,...,v_n} (all vectors) form a basis for V. Let V* denote the set of all linear transformations from V to R. (I know from previous work that V* is a vector space). Define f_i as an element of V* by:

f_i(a_1*v_1 + a_*v_2 + ... +a_n*v_n) = a_i

Prove that {f_1,...,f_n} gives a basis for V*.

2. Relevant equations

A basis of a subspace is a set of vectors that are linearly independent and span the subspace.

3. The attempt at a solution

By a theorem from my book, I know that for two subspaces V and W, dim V = dim W implies V = W. Since the basis for V has n vectors, dim(V) = n. Also, dim(R^n) = n. Thus, V can be equated with R^n. Since all vectors in V are in R^n, any linear transformation from V to R must have a corresponding 1xn matrix, so we know that f_1 through f_n have corresponding 1xn matrices. Since we can take the transpose of these matrices to form vectors in R^n, we can easily equate V* to R^n, so dim V* = n. This is another theorem from the book:

Let V be any k-dimensional subspace in R^n. Then any k vectors that span V must be linearly independent and any k linearly independent vectors in V must span V.

Now to finish up, I need to show that either {f_1,...,f_n} span V or they are linearly independent. I'm having trouble with either of those, though, since I don't have an explicit matrix form for any of the functions. All I know is that f_i gives the ith coordinate of a vector in V. I can prove linear independence by showing that:

c_1*[f_1] + c_2*[f_2] + ... + c_n*[f_n] = [0] implies c_1 = c_2 = ... = c_n = 0.

All I can think of from here is to multiply both sides by (a_1*v_1 + a_*v_2 + ... +a_n*v_n) to get:

c_1*a_1 + c_2*a_2 + ... + c_n*a_n = 0.
But I think I must have made an error somewhere, because we can easily show that that equation does not imply that c_1 = ... = c_n = 0.Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

Also, have I made any errors in my proof so far?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
Dick
Nov11-08, 08:23 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,251
You can think about this a lot more directly, without dragging matrices into it. You want to show if f is any element of V* then you can express it as a sum of the f_i, right? Consider the constants f(v_i)=a_i. Can you think of a way to use those to express f as a sum of the f_i? Remember if two elements of V* have the same value for all of the basis vectors, they have the same value for any vector. That shows they span. Now suppose the sum of c_i*f_i=f=0. Can you show that that implies that all of the c_i are zero? What for example is f(v_1)? That would show they are linearly independent.
Frillth
Nov11-08, 08:49 PM
How do I determine what f(v_1) is if all I know about f is that it takes v_1 from V to R?

Dick
Nov11-08, 08:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Basis of a vector space proof

I said, suppose f=sum c_i*f_i. Then what is f(v_1)? Of course you can't say much if f is ANYTHING.
Frillth
Nov11-08, 09:10 PM
OK, I think I got it. We have f(v_i) = c_i, so if we take the equation c_1*f_1 + c_2*f_2 + ... + c_n*f_n = 0 and we multiply by c_i, we get c_i = 0, thus implying that {f_1,...,f_n} is linearly independent.

I'm having trouble with your proof that they span, though. When you said "f(v_i)=a_i" did you mean to write "f_i(a_i*v_i) = a_i"?
Frillth
Nov11-08, 09:31 PM
Ah, never mind. I figured it out. Thank you very much for your help.

I have one more related problem:
Assume that V is a finite-dimensional vector space, and V* is defined as above. Prove that dim V = dim V*.

I know that I can prove this if V is defined as in the previous problem, but I'm getting tripped up by the fact that a vector space can contain things like functions and matrices.
Dick
Nov11-08, 09:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
You've shown that if v_i is a basis of V, then f_i is a basis of V*, right? There's the same number of v's as f's isn't there?
Frillth
Nov11-08, 10:42 PM
Oh, that is much simpler than I was trying to make it. Thank you very much for your help.

Register to reply