Help with complicated integral, simplifying

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to integrate the given equation, \int\sqrt{4x^{6}+16x^{2}}, from 1 to 3. The person tried to substitute x^2 with y, but was unsure of how to proceed with the integration. Another person suggests rewriting the integrand as 2x\sqrt{x^4+4} and applying a substitution, which results in \int_{1}^{9}{\sqrt{y^2+4}}. The first person is not familiar with area hyperbolic functions and asks if there are other ways to approach the integration.
devanlevin
need to integrate the following equation from 1 to 3

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{4x^{6}+16x^{2}}[/tex]

what i tried to do was call x^2, y for example then what i have is (4Y^3+16Y)^0.5
which i don't know how to integrate.
what else can i do, somehow need to play with the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you let y=x^2 you have to replace x^2 by y and 2xdx by dy.

So I suggest you rewrite your integrand as

[tex]
2x\sqrt{x^4+4}
[/tex]

Then applying the substitution, your integral becomes

[tex]
\int_{1}^{9}{\sqrt{y^2+4}}
[/tex]

Can you finish from here?

no, how do i integrate a sqr root with a squared number inside, the only format i have is for sqrt(ax+b)

This is not so straightforward...are you familiar with the area hyperbolic functions (inverses of hyperbolic trigonometric functions)?

no, any other ways

1. How do I approach solving a complicated integral?

There are a few steps you can follow to simplify a complicated integral. First, try to identify any patterns or techniques that you can use, such as substitution or integration by parts. If that doesn't work, try breaking the integral into smaller pieces and solving each one separately. Finally, if all else fails, you may need to use numerical integration methods.

2. What is the best way to simplify an integral involving trigonometric functions?

One approach is to use trigonometric identities to rewrite the integral in a simpler form. You can also try using trigonometric substitution to transform the integral into one that is easier to solve. If these methods don't work, you can also try using a computer program or calculator to evaluate the integral numerically.

3. How can I determine which technique to use for simplifying an integral?

It's important to first look for any patterns or familiar techniques that may apply, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. If you are still unsure, you can try consulting a calculus textbook or asking a math tutor for guidance.

4. Is it necessary to simplify an integral before solving it?

In general, it is helpful to simplify an integral as much as possible before attempting to solve it. This can make the problem more manageable and may reveal patterns or techniques that can be used. However, there may be cases where it is not necessary to simplify the integral in order to solve it.

5. What should I do if I am unable to simplify a complicated integral?

If you are unable to simplify the integral using any known techniques, you may need to resort to using numerical integration methods or consult a math expert for assistance. It's also important to double check your work and make sure there are no mistakes in your approach or calculations.