Wave Speed questoin

by blindzero678
Tags: questoin, speed, wave
Share this thread:
blindzero678
Nov13-08, 09:35 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rope, under a tension of 200 N and fixed at both ends, oscillates in a second-harmonic standing wave pattern. The displacement of the rope is given by

y = (0.10m)(sinPIx/2)sin12PIt

where x = 0 at one end of the rope, x is in meters, and t is in seconds. What are (a) the length of the rope, (b) the speed of the waves on the rope, and (c) the mass of the rope? (d) If the rope oscillates in a third-harmonic standing wave pattern, what will be the period of oscillation?

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure...I know how to solve for the lenght of the rope, but I don't know which formula to use to solve for the wave speed. Although once i find this, I know how to find the mass of the rope and the period in part (d).

3. The attempt at a solution

I know you can find the length of the rope by setting

0.10 = 0.10sin(PIx/2)

because the 0.10 m in the original equation will be the amplitude of the wave, and at it's maximum, sin(12PIt) = 1. this gives you x = 1 meter.

But i don't know where to go from here, to get the velocity.

i know f = v/lambda = (nv)/(2L) and that lambda = 2L/n, but you can't use these equations to solve for velocity, because the v cancels out.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Redbelly98
Nov14-08, 07:43 AM
Mentor
P: 12,070
There is a problem with (a). The answer does not depend on the amplitude.

Have you drawn a picture of the rope for the second-harmonic pattern? Do that, and think about how wavelength and rope length are related.

Register to reply