by Math Is Hard
Tags: free, sausage
Math Is Hard
Nov16-08, 08:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
I love the Ralph's market. They overcharged me by two bucks for my beef summer sausage and when I showed the checkout person the error, she said, "you know what - you get it for free." And gave me all my money back. I am a very happy customer.

They also give you free cookies while you shop. And sometimes you see B-list movie stars in there. And they have green bean casserole hot and ready to go at the deli. What a great place.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
turbo
Nov16-08, 08:56 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
I love the Ralph's market. They overcharged me by two bucks for my beef summer sausage and when I showed the checkout person the error, she said, "you know what - you get it for free." And gave me all my money back. I am a very happy customer.

They also give you free cookies while you shop. And sometimes you see B-list movie stars in there. And they have green bean casserole hot and ready to go at the deli. What a great place.
Yay for the free sausage.

Not so "yay" if the green-bean casserole contains the canned onion rings. That was nasty stuff when I was a kid, and it can't have improved over the years. (Just add xyz Hamburger Helper)
Math Is Hard
Nov16-08, 09:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Yay for the free sausage.

Not so "yay" if the green-bean casserole contains the canned onion rings. That was nasty stuff when I was a kid, and it can't have improved over the years. (Just add xyz Hamburger Helper)
They have some kind of breadcrumb topping on it. It is really yummy with nice big mushrooms in it.

~christina~
Nov16-08, 10:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 820

Yay! Free sausage!

I should have tried that...

I bought 4 knishes from the supermarket and they were supposed to be 50cents each.
The new person at the counter put a sticker on the bag that said $7.00 !
I told them about that and they put a new sticker with the correct price on it.

Arg..I should have brought it to the checkout and seen what they would have done about that. (imagines herself with free knishes)
Math Is Hard
Nov17-08, 02:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Knishes.. hmmm.. I think I have had those. Those are the potato pancakes that you put applesauce or sourcream on, right?
Evo
Nov17-08, 07:47 PM
Mentor
P: 25,965
Wow, that's a nice store MIH!! Here if they ring up something wrong here, all they do is re-ring it at the correct price.

I only got something free once. It wasn't scanning and it was the only one left. There was a long line at the checkout and it was the only thing I was buying. I politely told the cashier to just forget it and not hold everyone up and she stuck it in a bag and handed it to me and told me that it was their fault for not pricing it. It was only worth about $1.50, but I felt like I had won the lottery.
turbo
Nov17-08, 08:24 PM
PF Gold
There is a sandwich/pizza shop in our last home town that I had patronized for a long time. I was friendly (casually) with the owner and his wife, though they later divorced. At some point, he brought his sister into the business, and she cheapened up the sandwiches drastically. After buying an Italian (Sub) sandwich and finding that it was constructed with vegetables and meat that you could read bible print through, I took the sandwich back to the owner and registered my displeasure. I told him that I would gladly have paid higher prices for sandwiches if he was being squeezed by prices of ingredients, but please DON'T change the nature of his sandwiches. I got several free sandwiches after that, and if I dropped in when the owner was in the store, he would serve me personally, and ask if everything was "up to par".

Barry is a straight-up guy, and he realizes that reputation and customer feed-back is critical to the health of a local business. BTW, most of his staff has been with him for years, he supplies them with health insurance, and he supplies them with heavily-subsidized memberships to the local health club. This is fast-food with a conscience in a small town.
Math Is Hard
Nov17-08, 09:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Wow, that's a nice store MIH!! Here if they ring up something wrong here, all they do is re-ring it at the correct price.

I only got something free once. It wasn't scanning and it was the only one left. There was a long line at the checkout and it was the only thing I was buying. I politely told the cashier to just forget it and not hold everyone up and she stuck it in a bag and handed it to me and told me that it was their fault for not pricing it. It was only worth about $1.50, but I felt like I had won the lottery.
I was really jazzed, too. The subjective value of the sausage increased profoundly for me after I got it for free! It felt like more than a $6 gain. I'm thinking there needs to be a psych study on this scenario.
Math Is Hard
Nov17-08, 09:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Topher925 View Post
I offer this to the ladies all the time but none of them get nearly as excited as you have.
Maybe you should try overcharging them for your sausage first....?
Cyrus
Nov17-08, 09:23 PM
P: 4,780
Quote Quote by Topher925 View Post
I offer this to the ladies all the time but none of them get nearly as excited as you have.
Keep it Kocher buddy.
Math Is Hard
Nov17-08, 09:23 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
There is a sandwich/pizza shop in our last home town that I had patronized for a long time. I was friendly (casually) with the owner and his wife, though they later divorced. At some point, he brought his sister into the business, and she cheapened up the sandwiches drastically. After buying an Italian (Sub) sandwich and finding that it was constructed with vegetables and meat that you could read bible print through, I took the sandwich back to the owner and registered my displeasure. I told him that I would gladly have paid higher prices for sandwiches if he was being squeezed by prices of ingredients, but please DON'T change the nature of his sandwiches. I got several free sandwiches after that, and if I dropped in when the owner was in the store, he would serve me personally, and ask if everything was "up to par".

Barry is a straight-up guy, and he realizes that reputation and customer feed-back is critical to the health of a local business. BTW, most of his staff has been with him for years, he supplies them with health insurance, and he supplies them with heavily-subsidized memberships to the local health club. This is fast-food with a conscience in a small town.
Sounds like a very well-run establishment. What a great perk to give your employees health club memberships!
Math Is Hard
Nov17-08, 09:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
Keep it Kocher buddy.
Free zucchini?
turbo
Nov17-08, 09:33 PM
PF Gold
Sounds like a very well-run establishment. What a great perk to give your employees health club memberships!
Barry is a great guy! Lots of the women who work for him are a bit overweight (great pizzas, calzones, hoagies... go figure) but most have been with him for at least 5-15 years as far as I can tell. My mechanic's wife has been with him for 10 years at least, and she is probably 55. She is skilled, quick to respond, and is far superior to the teenies that work at the local McDonalds. It's nice to call a place like that and order two Dagwoods, and the person on the other end of the line says "One in a Syrian pocket and one on a Kaiser roll with light oil?" You can't buy that kind of service in a franchise!
Danger
Nov18-08, 01:56 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
I think that this illustrates one of the main differences between Yanks and Canucks. Although it has been offered upon occasion, there's no way that I would accept a freebee for a simple mistake. A refund of the overpayment is all that one has any right to. Taking a freebie under those circumstances, to me, is tantamount to theft.
dyosa
Nov18-08, 04:19 AM
P: 3

that would make their customers love them more. i just wonder how many stores around are like them.
Math Is Hard
Nov18-08, 12:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
I think that this illustrates one of the main differences between Yanks and Canucks. Although it has been offered upon occasion, there's no way that I would accept a freebee for a simple mistake. A refund of the overpayment is all that one has any right to. Taking a freebie under those circumstances, to me, is tantamount to theft.
I take the free cookies they offer, too. I'm despicable.

When we say "land of the free", we're talking about sausage.
Math Is Hard
Nov18-08, 12:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dyosa View Post
that would make their customers love them more. i just wonder how many stores around are like them.
I totally love them. I will go out of my way to shop there now.
Evo
Nov18-08, 12:48 PM
Mentor
P: 25,965
I take the free cookies they offer, too. I'm despicable.
My store has free Gourmet Saturdays where they put out a wide range of gourmet foods to be sampled free. I always forget to go.

When we say "land of the free", we're talking about sausage.

Register to reply