Unknown Organic Chemicals Distinction

by scurry18
Tags: chemicals, distinction, organic, unknown
scurry18
Nov17-08, 06:59 PM
P: 12
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Use a flow chart to distinguish between: 1-hexene, cyclohexanol, 1-bromobutane, 1-propanol, 2-hexene, 1-hexyne, 2-bromopentane, 3-methyl-3-hexanol, 3-bromo-3-methylhexane by using a positive and negative test by adding other compounds

2. Relevant equations
N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
I used ZnCl2 in HCl to distinguish cyclohexanol and 3-methyl-3-hexanol from the rest and used the same test to distinguish them from each other.
Then, I used acidic chromate solution to distinguish 1-propanol by the formation of green chromium (III) ion
I just do not know where to find the information on how to separate these compounds (It is not in my book.) Any and all information would be awesome!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
chemisttree
Nov19-08, 03:44 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
Quote Quote by scurry18 View Post
I just do not know where to find the information on how to separate these compounds (It is not in my book.) Any and all information would be awesome!
Is the question asking to distinguish between samples of each of these or to find a way to separate a mixture of them?
scurry18
Nov19-08, 05:56 PM
P: 12
It asks to distinguish between different samples of each. They are NOT mixed together.

chemisttree
Nov20-08, 09:19 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725

Unknown Organic Chemicals Distinction

Separate them into groups. You have 3 examples of alcohols, one primary, one secondary and one tertiary. You have 2 examples of olefins, one alpha and one internal. You have one example of an alkyne. Its unsaturation might lead you to believe that it is an olefin but it has a property that olefins don't. You have 3 examples of alkyl halides, one primary, one secondary and one tertiary.

Now, find some tests to distinguish between them and you are ready to begin.

Register to reply