2nd Order Derivative Applications

by mikec426
Tags: applications, derivative, order
Share this thread:
mikec426
Nov17-08, 09:42 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
This is a discussion question from an online course I'm taking.

1. Find an example from engineering which involves a second order derivative. This 2nd order derivative should have some name. For example, the 2nd derivative of displacement with respect to time is called acceleration. 2. For your example, clearly show the original quantity, the first derivative, and the second derivative. 3. Show all the steps involved in arriving from the original quantity to the 2nd derivative. 4. Do not choose displacement, velocity, and acceleration as your example.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
This is day three of me googling every related term that I can think of and I've just now come across this forum. Can someone point me in the right direction? I've found a few articles online that seem promising and they're all "for purchase."

Thanks,
--Mike
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Dick
Nov17-08, 10:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,235
Well, the notion of "curvature" (as in, say, bending of a beam) involves second derivatives. Does that help? You should find plenty of free material on that.
mikec426
Nov18-08, 12:38 AM
I looked up some of that. I haven't been able to make a clear step from original equation to 1st and then second derivative.

mikec426
Nov18-08, 09:44 AM
2nd Order Derivative Applications

Finally found something that made a decent amount of sense. My assignment's only one day late...

Register to reply