Publishing maths papers with no affiliation

In summary, if you have a paper accepted for publication in a maths journal and you do not have an affiliation with an academic institution, you may be able to submit it for publication under the name of an "independent researcher." However, the journal might require an author byline which requires contact information.
gel
I've recently had a paper accepted to be published in a maths journal. This is my first paper to be published, but the problem is that I currently work outside academia and have no academic affiliation to give them. I do have a PhD in maths, but that ended about 10 years ago.

Does anyone have any opinion on what is the best thing to do in this situation? Would a paper by an "independent researcher" (or whatever they would put if I say I have no affiliation) be taken as seriously as one from a university maths department? Or is there some way of obtaining an affiliation to be used to publish papers under?

I did have a look through the previous few years of papers published at the journal, and other similar ones, and they were all affiliated to an academic institution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the journal specifically ask for an affiliation? In general they require an author byline, which requires contact information, but there's no reason you necessarily need to be affiliated with an academic institution. Some industrial companies, for example, publish papers without academic affiliation.

I can't speak for the field of mathematics, but in general, I think people tend to base the degree to which they take something seriously on the content of the work, and secondly the general reputation of the journal. If anything, I think it's the review process where you would face the most opposition - work that doesn't seem to be affiliated with an academic institution would be likely to get a red flag. But you've already passed that step, so it's not worth worrying about at this point.

Maybe you could post it on arXiv? I know that's not the same as being published, but if you can post it on arXiv and maybe ask some people at a nearby university or some people who work in your field to look at it and ask them where you could submit it for publication?

It's already been accepted for publication...

If it's been accepted for publication, what's the problem? Obviously not having an affiliation didn't phase the reviewer, so I don't see why you would need an affiliation now.

Yes, its been accepted. I originally submitted it without filling in any affiliation, and the typesetter/copy editor have asked me provide some information including my affiliation. I was just wanting to make sure I was doing the right thing before saying I don't have one - as I don't think putting the company I work for is a good idea. Thanks for your advice.

It would be fine to put simply your city and state/country, or perhaps an organization with which you're affiliated that you want to advertise (e.g., the Iowa Integrators, Des Moines, IA).

In my last paper, I cited an author who's published from a Canadian jail for the last two decades. No joke. As long as the mathematics is verifiable, it doesn't make any difference.

Thanks for your advice guys. My paper has eventually gone to press. I just said that I didn't have any affiliation and they left that bit blank.

If anyone's interested, I published in annals of probability (paper is listed here, http://www.imstat.org/aop/future_papers.htm" ). The whole process takes a while - I initially submitted it in 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem, I want to publish papers and to participate in conferences but currently I am not employed till may, so what should I do in this situation because now i have to submit my application for the conferences.
And I cannot leave the space not filled because the it is must to to fiil the space in order to submit the application.

I am affiliate to my previous university but and alumni there but I am not employee there anymore.

I don't know - I was only talking about publishing papers, which is a long process and would take until well after May anyway. Maybe you should just ask the conference organizers?

just curious, what kind of a job do you have, being 10 years since your math doctoral?

Oxygenne said:
I have the same problem, I want to publish papers and to participate in conferences but currently I am not employed till may, so what should I do in this situation because now i have to submit my application for the conferences.
And I cannot leave the space not filled because the it is must to to fiil the space in order to submit the application.

I am affiliate to my previous university but and alumni there but I am not employee there anymore.

Have a word with the department you're working at from May. I don't see why they'd have a problem with you using your affiliation early. Otherwise, ask at your previous university.. they might give you some sort of visitor status, enabling you to use the affiliaton there.

Gel, may I ask how did the peer review go?
I guess they got back to you and inquired on the article, I mean asked a follow-up questions to see if they understand the work and its proofs.

The first stage of peer review took until Dec 07. They just came back to me with a brief explanation of what I had written and why it should be published, and a few very simple questions and amendments that I should make (all rather minor and stylistic rather than any changes to the maths content). It was officially accepted in Jan, then in Nov the typesetters came back with questions including my affiliation. Finally, I've been told that it has gone to press.

The initial submission was in May 07, so it's a long process.

I've also got several other papers submitted to this and other journals. For one of them they came back with extensive recommendations for changes, saying that they wouldn't accept it as it is but that I could resubmit with the suggested changes - which I did. Suppose I should chase up the other papers.

In any case, gel, congratulations. (Actually, if it gets published within two years of submission, that is NOT very long, comparatively!)

Oerg said:
just curious, what kind of a job do you have, being 10 years since your math doctoral?
Currently working in finance.

1. What is the process for publishing maths papers without any affiliation?

The process for publishing maths papers without any affiliation is typically the same as publishing with an affiliation. You will need to submit your paper to a relevant journal or conference, follow their submission guidelines, and undergo the peer review process. However, you may need to provide additional information or documentation to demonstrate the validity and credibility of your research without an affiliation.

2. Will not having an affiliation affect the acceptance of my paper?

Having no affiliation may not necessarily affect the acceptance of your paper. What is more important is the quality and relevance of your research. However, not having an affiliation may raise questions about the credibility and validity of your research, so it is important to provide clear and thorough explanations and evidence in your paper.

3. Can I still receive funding or grants for my research without an affiliation?

It is possible to receive funding or grants for your research without an affiliation. Many funding organizations and institutions understand that not all researchers have affiliations and may have alternative criteria for evaluating the merit of a research proposal. You may need to provide additional information to demonstrate the potential impact and importance of your research.

4. How can I increase the visibility of my paper without an affiliation?

There are several ways to increase the visibility of your paper without an affiliation. You can share your paper on academic networking sites, such as ResearchGate or Academia.edu, or promote it through social media. You can also reach out to other researchers or relevant organizations and ask them to share your paper. Additionally, you can attend conferences or workshops to present your research and network with other researchers.

5. Can I still collaborate with other researchers without an affiliation?

Yes, it is possible to collaborate with other researchers without an affiliation. Many researchers are open to collaborations regardless of affiliation status. You can reach out to other researchers through networking events, academic networking sites, or by directly contacting them through their institutional email. Collaboration can also strengthen the credibility and impact of your research.