Calculating atomic radius from weight + density

In summary, the given information is used to calculate the radius of a palladium atom, which has an FCC crystal structure. After several calculations, the calculated radius is found to be 0.194533nm, which is slightly different from the correct answer of 0.138nm. The mistake was due to confusion with the value of 2*sqrt(2).
physicsnnewbie

Homework Statement

Calculate the radius of a palladium atom, given that Pd has an FCC crystal structure, a density of 12.0g/cm3, and an atomic weight of 106.4g/mol

Homework Equations

Pd contains 4 atoms per unit cell.
unit cell edge lengh = 2*Radius*sqrt(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

calculate atom weight:
106.4/6.0221418e23 = 1.7668133e-22

calculate unit cell weight:
1.7668133e-22*4 = 7.0672532e-22

calculate unit cell volume in cm3:
7.0672532e-22/12 = 5.8893777e-23

convert to nm3:
5.8893777e-23*(10^7)^3 = 0.0588938

calculate edge length:
0.0588938^(1/3) = 0.3890659

calculate radius:
0.3890659/2 = 0.194533

my answer:
0.194533nm

correct answer:
0.138nm

I can't figure out what I've done wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out. I got confused and thought 2*sqrt(2) was equal to 2. So silly!

Can you please provide some guidance?

Your calculations seem to be correct, however, it is important to note that the FCC crystal structure of Pd has a basis of 4 atoms per unit cell, not just 1. This means that the unit cell weight should be multiplied by 4, not the atomic weight. This will change your final answer to be closer to the correct value of 0.138nm. Additionally, it is important to be aware of any rounding or significant figure rules that may affect your final answer. Make sure to check your calculations and units carefully to ensure accuracy.

What is the formula for calculating atomic radius from weight and density?

The formula for calculating atomic radius from weight and density is: radius = (3 * weight) / (4 * density * PI * Avogadro's number)^(1/3)

What units should be used for weight and density in the calculation?

The weight should be in grams (g) and the density should be in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3) to ensure consistent units in the calculation.

Can this calculation be used for all elements?

Yes, this calculation can be used for all elements as long as the weight and density values are accurate.

What is Avogadro's number and why is it used in the formula?

Avogadro's number, also known as the Avogadro constant, is a fundamental constant used to relate the number of particles (atoms or molecules) in a given substance. It is used in the formula to convert from mass to number of particles.

What are some limitations of using this calculation to determine atomic radius?

This calculation assumes that the atoms are perfectly spherical and evenly distributed, which may not always be the case. Additionally, experimental errors in the measurement of weight and density can affect the accuracy of the calculated radius.