Do you think Dumbo could actually fly?

• Thread starter allison08
  • Start date
In summary, Dumbo could not fly because his ears emit flyons that do not create low pressure areas to lift him off the ground.
allison08
No, right? I mean... his ears are straight! and to fly you need lift, and flying straight would give you no lift.

It's obvious that he can't, but I'm trying to figure out the laws and stuff to prove that he couldn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most important thing in physics is agreement with experimental data. The data clearly indicate that Dumbo could fly.

Ears emit flyons that clearly let Dumbo fly.

The term 'power-to-weight ratio' comes to mind.

How about the law that it was a friggin' cartoon and is intended for children. You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Of course he can't fly - the airflow path over the top and bottom of his ears is the same length, so there is no low pressure area!
The real question is - could Dumbo take off from a treadmill?

Only if he takes off tail first and somebody holds him until his ears spin.

OMG! This is cute! :rofl:

FredGarvin said:
How about the law that it was a friggin' cartoon and is intended for children. You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Somebody never got to watch Dumbo as a child! :wink:

It's okay, there's still time. Just say you are buying it for your daughter or something.

:rofl:

Why has this question even been proposed? Of course dumbo can fly! The irony is that no elephants were harmed in the making of that film.

Mentallic said:
The irony is that no elephants were harmed in the making of that film.
That is incorrect. It's a little-known Hollywood dark secret that Dumbo's stunt double tried to stifle a sneeze and sprained his trunk.

Danger said:
That is incorrect. It's a little-known Hollywood dark secret that Dumbo's stunt double tried to stifle a sneeze and sprained his trunk.

OMG! I heard about that!

mgb_phys said:
Of course he can't fly - the airflow path over the top and bottom of his ears is the same length, so there is no low pressure area!

Thats poppy-kok. Ears can be 2-dimensionally flat for all I care.
When he flaps, air blows into his ear drum, causing a build up in pressure in his head.He brainfarts out of his ears, creating the thrust needed. This is repeatedly continually, and while this is not very healthy, dumbo is still one of the brightest flying elephants I have had the privilege of getting an autograph from.

He flies like a harrier jump jet using his bumhole

Dumbo could not fly. He was chosen for the role because of his cute face. A stunt elephant did all of the flying scenes.

Now that the mystery of Dumbo flying is resolved, what about:
  • Could Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse really talk like a person?
  • Could dinosaurs coexist with humans in The Flintstones?
  • Could Wile E. Coyote survive hundreds of falls from atop a 300 foot high cliff?
  • Could Superman fly, have x-ray vision, super strength, and all his other super-powers?

Redbelly98 said:
Could Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse really talk like a person?
Of course they do - I've seen it on Fox! (Although Mickey seems slightly retarded)

Could dinosaurs coexist with humans in The Flintstones?
As long as they stay off the topics of religion and politics they get along fine.

Could Wile E. Coyote survive hundreds of falls from atop a 300 foot high cliff?
Of course he's a physicist!
One of my profs had worked on the Manhattan project, he said that once the 'device' had reached a certain level of assembly no scientists were allowed near it - only engineers.
The logic was that if it failed to go off, a physicist's natural reaction would be to go upto it and start wiggling wires - like Wiley underneath one of his own traps.

Could Superman fly, have x-ray vision, super strength, and all his other super-powers?
Yes, you just have to remove the tag that says - 'This cape does not permit wearer to fly'

mgb_phys said:
The real question is - could Dumbo take off from a treadmill?
<snorgg> :rofl:

I'm surprised this wasn't moved to philosophy instead of GD.

Ok, I think we've beaten this one to death.

1. Is it scientifically possible for an elephant like Dumbo to fly?

No, it is not scientifically possible for an elephant to fly. The laws of physics and biology make it impossible for an animal of that size and weight to defy gravity and fly without any external assistance.

2. How does Dumbo fly in the movie?

In the animated movie, Dumbo is able to fly with the help of a magic feather given to him by a mouse. This is a fictional element and does not have any scientific explanation.

3. Are there any real-life examples of elephants flying?

No, there are no known instances of elephants flying in real life. While some animals, such as birds and insects, have the ability to fly, elephants do not possess the physical adaptations or abilities necessary for flight.

4. Could Dumbo have used his large ears to fly?

No, an elephant's ears are not designed for flight. They are used for regulating body temperature and communication, but they do not have the necessary structure or strength to support the weight of the animal and allow it to fly.

5. Is Dumbo based on any real elephants with the ability to fly?

No, Dumbo is a fictional character created by Disney and is not based on any real elephants with the ability to fly. While there have been stories and legends of flying elephants in different cultures, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims.