Analyzing Tension Forces with friction

by Mindstein
Tags: analyzing, forces, friction, tension
Share this thread:
Mindstein
Dec1-08, 06:53 PM
P: 14
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A 9.00-kg hanging object is connected, by a light, inextensible cord over a light, frictionless pulley, to a 5.00-kg block that is sliding on a flat table. Taking the coefficient of kinetic friction as .200, find the tension in the string

2. Relevant equations
F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
Fk = ma
a = (9.8 N friction force)/(5.00 kg) = 1.96 which is approximately 2
ΣFx= T - Fk = ma
T = Fk + ma
T = (9.8N) + total mass 14N(1.96 m/s^2)
T = 37.24 or if you use 2 for the acceleration you get 37.8 which is the right answer

Did I do this right?

Please help me to understand why.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
PhanthomJay
Dec1-08, 07:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 6,049
Quote Quote by Mindstein View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A 9.00-kg hanging object is connected, by a light, inextensible cord over a light, frictionless pulley, to a 5.00-kg block that is sliding on a flat table. Taking the coefficient of kinetic friction as .200, find the tension in the string

2. Relevant equations
F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
Fk = ma
a = (9.8 N friction force)/(5.00 kg) = 1.96 which is approximately 2
I am not sure why you say that Fk = ma. Try Fk=uN.
ΣFx= T - Fk = ma
yes, looking at all forces acting in the x direction on the block sitting on the table, this equaton is correct, as it applies to the 5kg block.
T = Fk + ma
T = (9.8N) + total mass 14N(1.96 m/s^2)
you must make the Fk correction. You are right now just looking at the block on the table, where m = 5, not 14, and 'a' is unknown.
T = 37.24 or if you use 2 for the acceleration you get 37.8 which is the right answer

Did I do this right?

Please help me to understand why.
In problems of these types, or any types using Newton's laws, you MUST draw free body diagrams. Isolate each block and note all the forces acting on it (weight, friction, normal force, applied forces, etc., in the x and y directions). Try also drawing a FBD of the hanging object. What are the forces acting on it? Then apply Newton's laws to each block. Note that since the blocks are connected by an inextensible cord over a light frictionless pulley, that the magnitude of the accelerations of each block must be the same, and the rope tension acting on each block must be the same.

Register to reply