Register to reply

Permittivity permeability

by einsteinian77
Tags: permeability, permittivity
Share this thread:
einsteinian77
Jun6-03, 01:53 PM
P: 204
Could someone please tell me the most detailed and direct definition of permeability and permittivity. I know that they are porportionalities of some sort but what else could they be viewed as? Why is εμ = 1/c^2 ?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
Tyger
Jun6-03, 09:09 PM
P: 402
"The Electromagnetic Interaction" which gives quite a good description. I highly reccomend it.
HallsofIvy
Jun7-03, 07:59 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,363
Check out

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permittivity

and

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability

jeff
Jun8-03, 12:13 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 660
Permittivity permeability

Originally posted by einsteinian77
Could someone please tell me the most detailed and direct definition of permeability and permittivity. I know that they are porportionalities of some sort but what else could they be viewed as? Why is εμ = 1/c^2 ?
Here's a tip. Often, when you've got some physical quantity that you don't understand, it helps to determine it's dimensional units. On the left hand side of the above expression, the dimensional units of a speed is involved. The next step is to identify what constants are available in the problem. For example, if the setting is electromagnitism in a vacuum, there's only one relevant constant with those dimensions, namely the speed of light.

This kind of dimensional analysis may not immediately clear everything up for you, but it can point you in the right direction.

Register to reply