Heat, fire, pressure - things i don't understand

by fudoki
Tags: heat, pressure, things
Share this thread:
fudoki
Jan2-09, 06:05 PM
P: 1
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong location, i'm new (and using that as an excuse :) )

i am currently working on a fantasy novel and having some issues that my days old knowledge of thermodynamics, and what-not, is nowhere near capable of managing.

So, to dive straight in; if we were to assume that you had access to a large amount of energy (potential or otherwise) and chose to use said energy by transferring it to a point in the air in front of you to generate a high temperature (thousands of degress) would a flame appear? Or, is a flame only generated when a secondary material is introduced, such as wood, carbon etc?

if you were to heat to a small part of the air in front of you quickly and highly enough would you create a shockwave which would 'push' things?

any help, knowledge or nudges in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
mgb_phys
Jan2-09, 06:43 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
You wouldn't create a flame - a flame needs fuel+oxygen+heat.
You could create a plasma if you heated it enough - like a spherical glowing spark
Enough heating can create a force, lightning creates a supersonic shock by heating air - that's the thunder you hear.
montoyas7940
Jan2-09, 06:46 PM
P: 271
If some of the nitrogen were oxidized would there be a visible flame?

Register to reply