Simple Moment of Inertia Question

In summary, to increase the moment of inertia of a rod pivoted at one end by a factor of 5, one can add four more masses of equal size at a distance L from the pivot. However, there may be other solutions depending on any given constraints. If only a single mass of equal size can be added, alternative solutions would need to be explored. The definition of moment of inertia is also given as \sum_{i} m_{i} r^{2}_{i}.
tachu101

Homework Statement

A rod of negligible mass is pivoted about one end. Masses can be attached to the rod at various positions along the rod. Currently, there is a mass (m) attached a distance (L) from the pivot. To increase the moment of inertia about the pivot by a factor of 5, you must attach...

Homework Equations

I=mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Io= mL^2
If= 5(Io) = mL^2(original mass)+4(mL^20) All I did was add four more masses of equal size at a distance L from the pivot. Is there another solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The definition of moment of Inertia is [tex]\sum_{i} m_{i} r^{2}_{i}[/tex]

tachu101 said:
All I did was add four more masses of equal size at a distance L from the pivot. Is there another solution?
Sure, there are plenty of solutions. The question is a bit vague. Are there any constraints given? (Such as the the number of masses you are allowed to add or the size of the masses.)

For example: What if you could only add a single mass of equal size. How could you solve the problem then?

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the object and its distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation. It can also be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, which takes into account the distance of the axis of rotation from the object's center of mass.

What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

The unit of moment of inertia depends on the units used for mass and distance. In the SI system, the unit for moment of inertia is kilogram per meter squared (kg/m^2).

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics and engineering because it helps to understand an object's rotational motion and how it will respond to external torques. It is also used in calculations for rotational energy, angular momentum, and angular acceleration.

How does moment of inertia differ from mass and weight?

Moment of inertia is often confused with mass and weight, but it is a distinct property of an object. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force exerted on an object by gravity. Moment of inertia, on the other hand, is a measure of how an object's mass is distributed and how it will resist rotational motion.