Simple Moment of Inertia Question

by tachu101
Tags: inertia, moment, simple
Share this thread:
tachu101
Jan2-09, 11:33 PM
P: 74
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A rod of negligible mass is pivoted about one end. Masses can be attached to the rod at various positions along the rod. Currently, there is a mass (m) attached a distance (L) from the pivot. To increase the moment of inertia about the pivot by a factor of 5, you must attach...

2. Relevant equations

I=mr^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Io= mL^2
If= 5(Io) = mL^2(original mass)+4(mL^20) All I did was add four more masses of equal size at a distance L from the pivot. Is there another solution?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
djeitnstine
Jan3-09, 01:05 AM
PF Gold
P: 619
You are correct. The definition of moment of Inertia is [tex]\sum_{i} m_{i} r^{2}_{i}[/tex]
Doc Al
Jan3-09, 06:36 AM
Mentor
P: 41,318
Quote Quote by tachu101 View Post
All I did was add four more masses of equal size at a distance L from the pivot. Is there another solution?
Sure, there are plenty of solutions. The question is a bit vague. Are there any constraints given? (Such as the the number of masses you are allowed to add or the size of the masses.)

For example: What if you could only add a single mass of equal size. How could you solve the problem then?

Register to reply