Register to reply

Two vector spaces being isomorphic

by terryfields
Tags: isomorphic
Share this thread:
terryfields
Jan5-09, 11:03 AM
P: 44
sadly not been able to put much effort into this one! was a lecture i missed towards the end of term and didnt get the notes on it, however here is the question.
for K>or equal to 1 let Pk denote the the vector space of all real polynomials of degree at most k. For which value of n is Pk isomorphic to Rn. Give a brief reason for your answer.

Now from what i have found on two vector spaces being isomorphic they need to have equal dimensions (dimu=dimv) so knowing that we have dimRn)=n is as far as i have got. Not really understanding this one, surely they would be isomorphic at any value of n as long as it's between 1 and k????
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Big-T
Jan5-09, 05:21 PM
P: 64
How many basis vectors do you need to span P_k?
HallsofIvy
Jan5-09, 07:53 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
For example, P1 is the space of all first degree polynomials which can be written in the form ax+ b which, in turn, can be mapped to (a,b) in R2.

terryfields
Jan6-09, 08:21 AM
Two vector spaces being isomorphic

so for a second degree polynomial you would have ax2 +bx +c so is the answer just n-1 because the dimension of a polynomial is always one higher than the degree?
Dick
Jan6-09, 08:31 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,244
A single polynomial doesn't have a 'dimension'. The point is that the set of ALL degree two or less polynomials can be represented as linear combinations of the three linearly independent functions 1, x and x^2. They form a basis. The 'dimension' of a space is the number of elements in a basis.
terryfields
Jan7-09, 11:58 AM
Ok, so the basis formed by the polynomial is always going to be one higher than the degree of the polynomial, therefore value of n that will make Pk isomorphic to n has to be k+1? (crosses fingers and preys)
Dick
Jan7-09, 01:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,244
Preys? I think you want to pray. Sure, P_k has dimension k+1. R^n has dimension n. Two finite dimensional vector spaces are isomorphic if they have the same dimension.
terryfields
Jan7-09, 05:09 PM
thanks, thats much simpler than it first looked.

Register to reply