Register to reply

Conductivity of Copper Against Copper

by chris2547
Tags: conductivity, copper
Share this thread:
chris2547
Jan7-09, 12:34 PM
P: 4
Hi I was wondering if I took two peices of copper and held them together then ran a current through the connection what would the resistance of that be? Would it theoritically be zero, but in real life be some very small but insignificant amount?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
The physics of lead guitar playing
The birth of topological spintronics
mgb_phys
Jan7-09, 12:54 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,955
It depends on details of how flat, smooth and clean the surfaces are and how much force you put on them to push them together.
Ultimately they join into one piece of copper and then the resistance is just that of a single piece of copper.
berkeman
Jan7-09, 01:08 PM
Mentor
P: 40,649
Quote Quote by chris2547 View Post
Hi I was wondering if I took two peices of copper and held them together then ran a current through the connection what would the resistance of that be? Would it theoritically be zero, but in real life be some very small but insignificant amount?

Thanks
That falls under the term "contact resistance", and depends on the pressure and the surface texture, etc.

The subject of "contact resistance" and reliability is a whole area of study when it comes to connectors -- how can you make the most reliable and long-lived contact possible...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_resistance

EDIT -- mgp_phys beats me to the punch again....

Register to reply