What are "chakras" anyway?

by PJ2001
Tags: chakras
PJ2001
Jan13-09, 10:06 AM
P: 12
Hello,

Hinduism talks of 7 (or sometimes many more) chakras, or energy centers. They seem to correspond to the nerve plexus' in the body as well as some glands.

I don't what scientific basis there is for such, but perhaps I'm being too narrow minded?

Thanks
PJ
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
mgb_phys
Jan13-09, 10:12 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
They are special points on the body through which money can be extracted from Californians.
Ivan Seeking
Jan13-09, 10:52 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Just to keep this on the right track, the questions should be more along these lines: What are the claims made with respect to the existence and function of chakras? Is there any scientific evidence to support these claims?

Keep in mind that we explore claims of and evidence for unexplained phenomena. We don't want a review of religious beliefs.

mgb_phys
Jan13-09, 10:58 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper

What are "chakras" anyway?

The difficulty with all these topics is that it is hard to find/quote the original source.
So somebody (often with an interest) will try and link the belief with science by saying that this ancient_mystical_point is over some organ/structure that is now known to be important so the ancients had some secret knowledge that we only just discovered.

But did the point originally have a fixed position, did it line up with whatever the promoter is now claiming, and does the organ have anything to do with whatever this point was meant to cure?
Ivan Seeking
Jan13-09, 11:19 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Yes, there are many examples of revisionist history. However, simply locating a organ proves nothing.
Ivan Seeking
Jan14-09, 10:57 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
btw, good one mgb!

I've lived in Oregon long enough to laugh at Californian jokes.
Proton Soup
Jan14-09, 03:49 PM
P: 1,070
don't know for sure, but i suspect they correspond to areas of focus during meditation. whether there would be a physical correlation or it's simply a mnemonic device is anyone's guess.
Ghost803
Mar11-09, 03:29 PM
P: 26
In my opinion its all just a bunch of hogwash.. And I've taken Yoga,etc.

It's sad though, the mental and physical rewards of Yoga exercises were very great, even without having to mix in mysticism and mythology. I am just miffed that Yoga and meditations is packaged in such a sensationalist way that discredits it and makes people skeptical of its benifits.
mgb_phys
Mar11-09, 03:42 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Ghost803 View Post
I am just miffed that Yoga and meditations is packaged in such a sensationalist way that discredits it and makes people skeptical of its benifits.
It's the same with Karate, Saying 'ke-ai' as you punch empties your lungs of air and tightens your stomach muscles - it doesn't concentrate your mystical life force.
And the plank gets broken because of the speed of the punch and momentum - except in my case where I just get sore knuckles cos I'm weedy.
Ms Music
Mar11-09, 04:21 PM
P: 173
I have heard of healing done through "chakra alignment" or something of the sorts... But is there even any way at all to see if it truly works? Or if it is the placebo affect only? I have a friend that works with this stuff, and she truly believes in what she does.... I am a skeptic personally, but when science has taken prayer and ruled out the placebo affect, I won't bet that chakras are nothing at all... But how do you rule out the placebo effect?
jobyts
Mar11-09, 04:46 PM
P: 216
yeah, the chakra alignment worked for my car.

("chakra" in sanscrit means wheel.)
mgb_phys
Mar11-09, 04:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by jobyts View Post
yeah, the chakra alignment worked for my car.
I think I see a business opportunity there. Between therapists for your dog and feng shui for your office - why not a chakra realignment for your car ?
It must build up a lot of negative vibes in all those traffic jams - so you can have it's aura cleansed along with the oil change.
Ivan Seeking
Mar11-09, 06:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Alright, let's keep this serious.
CEL
Mar12-09, 01:29 PM
P: 639
Quote Quote by Ms Music View Post
I have heard of healing done through "chakra alignment" or something of the sorts... But is there even any way at all to see if it truly works? Or if it is the placebo affect only? I have a friend that works with this stuff, and she truly believes in what she does.... I am a skeptic personally, but when science has taken prayer and ruled out the placebo affect, I won't bet that chakras are nothing at all... But how do you rule out the placebo effect?
When did science take prayer and rule out placebo effect?
b.shahvir
Mar12-09, 01:48 PM
P: 190
Its human nature to reject what cannot be understood by the realms of the human mind. We only experience the environment thru our sense organs.......and the organs do have limitations! But wat the heck,the debate will go on.....and on.... and on......
Ms Music
Mar12-09, 04:07 PM
P: 173
Quote Quote by CEL View Post
When did science take prayer and rule out placebo effect?
Sorry CEL, I am swamped today and having a hard time finding the exact study with so little time (needless to say, googling "prayer" brings up so much garbage). The one I remember reading about, the people didn't even know that people were praying for them to rule out placebo. This study appears that the patients knew someone was praying for them, which doesn't rule out placebo. But it could be the phase II study that they mention at the end of the article where they didn't let some people know they were being prayed for.

Again, sorry I couldn't find the right one, but I have no more time to search. This is the best I could find from a reputable source.

http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/5056

Will post again later if i can find the right study.
DaveC426913
Mar12-09, 04:42 PM
P: 15,325
mgb, you are on fire today!
CEL
Mar13-09, 06:25 AM
P: 639
Quote Quote by Ms Music View Post
Sorry CEL, I am swamped today and having a hard time finding the exact study with so little time (needless to say, googling "prayer" brings up so much garbage). The one I remember reading about, the people didn't even know that people were praying for them to rule out placebo. This study appears that the patients knew someone was praying for them, which doesn't rule out placebo. But it could be the phase II study that they mention at the end of the article where they didn't let some people know they were being prayed for.

Again, sorry I couldn't find the right one, but I have no more time to search. This is the best I could find from a reputable source.

http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/5056

Will post again later if i can find the right study.
The article does not mention if the group that received the intercessory prayer was aware of the treatment, but the other noetic treatments are made with the knowledge of the patient, so the study is not blind and cannot rule out placebo effect.
"These noetic interventions help a patient achieve a state of calm equilibrium, or homeostasis, which puts them in a better state to help in their own recovery process,"

Register to reply