How Long Does It Take a Pulse to Travel Across a Ravine When a Rope is Plucked?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of how long it will take for a pulse to travel across a ravine, given a rope with a mass of 25.0 kg and a force of 415 N being pulled on one end. The calculation results in a time of 2.74 seconds, but there may be a question of precision in accepting this answer. The person asking for help is looking for suggestions on how to improve their answer.
dsptl
A rope with a total mass of 25.0 kg is tied to a tree on one side of a 125 meter wide ravine, and you're pulling on the other end of the rope with a force of 415 N. If you pluck the rope, how long will it take the pulse to travel across the ravine to the tree?

Please Help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
yes I have already tried that and I got 2.74sec but in MasteringPhysics it gives me wrong...

help me out

Show your calculation so we can see what you did.

So, u = 25/125 = 1/5 kg/m
So, T = sqrt(415 kg m/s^2 / (1/5 kg/m)) = sqrt( 415*5 m^2/s^2) = sqrt(2075) m/s = 45.55 m/s

then I did t = d/v = 125m/45.55m/s = 2.74sec

Your calculation looks correct. I can only suggest that there is a question of precision in accepting your answer.

i have only one trial left and i don't want to take risk...please suggest me an answer

1. What is "Quantitative Problem 20.10"?

"Quantitative Problem 20.10" refers to a specific problem or question that involves numerical data and requires a quantitative approach to solve. It could be from a research study, an experiment, or a real-world situation.

2. What is the purpose of "Quantitative Problem 20.10"?

The purpose of "Quantitative Problem 20.10" is to analyze and interpret numerical data to gain insights and make informed decisions. It helps in understanding relationships between variables and making predictions.

3. What are the steps involved in solving "Quantitative Problem 20.10"?

The steps involved in solving "Quantitative Problem 20.10" may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally, they include defining the problem, identifying relevant variables, collecting data, analyzing the data using statistical methods, and drawing conclusions or making recommendations.

4. What are the common challenges in solving "Quantitative Problem 20.10"?

Some common challenges in solving "Quantitative Problem 20.10" include selecting appropriate statistical methods, ensuring data accuracy and reliability, dealing with missing data, and interpreting the results in a meaningful way.

5. How can "Quantitative Problem 20.10" be applied in real life?

"Quantitative Problem 20.10" can be applied in various fields such as business, finance, healthcare, and social sciences. For example, it can be used to analyze customer data to improve marketing strategies, evaluate the effectiveness of medical treatments, or understand the impact of social policies.