current produced by 3.5 L car engine

by Gdarnall
Tags: current, engine, produced
Gdarnall
Feb1-09, 04:35 PM
P: 6
how can i determine how many amps are generated by a typical automobile engine? how many amps can i suck off of a car battery while the car is running, and not slowly drain the battery of its power?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
russ_watters
Feb1-09, 10:52 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999
The alternator probably has an output rating.
Phrak
Feb2-09, 12:36 AM
P: 4,513
You might get a rough idea by looking at the ammeter of a car that has one. Headlamps are the largest drain, I believe.

Gnosis
Feb2-09, 07:54 PM
P: 143

current produced by 3.5 L car engine

Quote Quote by Gdarnall View Post
how can i determine how many amps are generated by a typical automobile engine? how many amps can i suck off of a car battery while the car is running, and not slowly drain the battery of its power?
Modern automotive alternators are commonly rated at least 50 to 80 amps however, they aren't intended to provide this range of current output for lengthy durations, so be mindful that you could end up damaging the alternator/rectifier/regulator if you intend to draw near max current for any extended durations. Even so, you should check the specs for your alternator's current output.

Additionally, if you're going to be drawing high instantaneous currents, transients can prove damaging to the vehicle's expensive electronics. Just keep that in mind...

Register to reply