What are the unique features of the Polish coast and its beaches?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary: It sounds like you had a peaceful and beautiful vacation.In summary, Borek and Marzena went on a vacation to the Polish coast, specifically the Baltic Sea. They were there in February, when the temperature was around freezing and there were not many people around. They took pictures of the sea, the fog, and the frozen lake, as well as some interesting plants and landscapes. They also noted that the coast line is constantly changing due to sea currents and winds. Overall, it was a peaceful and beautiful vacation.
Borek
Mentor
This time we took to the north. In Poland to the north means - sea. Baltic Sea to be exact. It is not as salty as the true seas are (something like 2% compared to 3.5%), so it is realitvely poor when it comes to sea species, but that's the best sea we have :smile:

plaza.jpg

First day was beautiful - weak wind, a lot of sun, temperature around 0 deg C. *

na_wschod.jpg

That's the way Polish coast looks alike - it is shaped almost solely by sea currents that flow to the east, so we have over 500 km of sandy beaches. Unfortunately that also means all bays are sooner or later closed with sandy peninsulas and become lakes. In effect there are almost no natural ports in Poland. *

IMG_8466.jpg

The sea and beaches are not a place where you can see a lot of people in the winter, so we were almost alone. I am taking picture of the sand, Marzena is taking picture of me. Nobody is taking picture of both of us, although as you see some people were here before. In other places sand was a true virgin.

IMG_8472.jpg

Coast line moves back and forth. Several hundreds years ago coast line was a little bit more to the north (left on the picture) and forest was growing here. Now here and there old tree trunks can be seen on the beach.

IMG_8490.jpg

One of two or three species of grass that grow on the dunes, this particular one tries its luck on the beach. I love those circles in the sand.

IMG_8568.jpg

This day was particularly foggy. We went to the beach again, but soon decided to take pictures not of the sea, but of the fog. Or of whatever was visible in the fog.

IMG_8546.jpg

Like tree.

IMG_8575.jpg

Or almost nothing.

latarnia.jpg

Lighthouse Stilo was particularly well visible, as it is on the hill. Low, nonethelss hill, so the lighthouse was over the fog. *

IMG_8587.jpg

Next day. Slightly better visibility - no fog - but cloudy, with occasional shower. Perhaps more like dripping tap. This is not sea - this is a fresh water lake, separated from the sea by about 200 meters of what was peninsula several hundred years ago. As it is lake, it is frozen.

szren.jpg

That's yesterdays fog frozen on the trees. *

smutek.jpg

These trees have not started to grow on the sand... *

landmark56.jpg

...we are on the moving dune. Winds in Poland blow mostly to the east, so dunes move to the east as well, at several meters per year.

akwarelowe_niebo.jpg

This dune is huge. *

IMG_8617.jpg

And views here are rather unexpected - we are not on the desert.

warstwy.jpg

Layers of sand, over the beach. I suppose they look the same way on every beach in the world. *

And finally... One evening we tried to take night pictures of the sea. Generally it didn't work, it was too dark. But this one...
IMG_8679.jpg

The Shining :wink:

As usual, Marzena's pictures marked with *.

Physics news on Phys.org
Great pictures Borek, i love the frozen lake one most.

Very nice, Borek and Marzena! Looks so cold, much like the coast here in Washington state (only we usually have bigger waves). Especially, I like the fog pictures.

Looks like you were the only people there, except for the footprint evidence. Guess not many people take vacations to the coast in February...kudos for being tough!

Last edited:
Really lovely photos. It seems like a great relaxing get a way for you both.

So you are on vacations, taht 's why things are so peaceful around. Enjoy, I have to go to the temple too now. :wave:

Great set. I would love to be able to explore a place like that.

Lovely to see, thanks Borek. I like circles in the sand too, but my favourite shot was the frozen fog on the trees in the distance and the grass in the foreground.

Thank you all for kind words. Neither place nor pictures deserve them.

lisab said:
Guess not many people take vacations to the coast in February...kudos for being tough!

All the time it was around freezing, so not bad. We were making 15-20 miles a day (no bikes this time), it helps keep warm. Plus we have pretty warm and airtight jackets.

fuzzyfelt said:
Lovely to see, thanks Borek. I like circles in the sand too, but my favourite shot was the frozen fog on the trees in the distance and the grass in the foreground.

This is a common reed growing on the lake shore. Technically common reed is a grass :smile:

Very nice Borek. This area used to be covered by giant pine trees millions of years ago, hence there is so much amber.

Fantastic shots, as usual.

1. What are the top tourist destinations in Poland?

Some of the top tourist destinations in Poland include Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Wroclaw, and Zakopane. These cities offer a mix of historical sites, beautiful architecture, and natural landscapes.

2. Is Poland a safe country to visit?

Yes, Poland is generally considered a safe country for tourists. However, as with any country, it is important to take precautions and be aware of your surroundings, especially in larger cities.

3. What is the best time of year to visit Poland?

The best time of year to visit Poland is during the summer months (June-August) when the weather is warm and there are many outdoor festivals and events. However, if you prefer cooler weather and want to avoid crowds, the spring (March-May) and fall (September-November) months can also be a great time to visit.

4. What are some traditional Polish dishes to try?

Polish cuisine is known for its hearty and filling dishes. Some traditional dishes to try include pierogi (dumplings filled with various ingredients), bigos (a stew made with meat and cabbage), and kielbasa (sausage). Also, be sure to try some of Poland's famous desserts, such as paczki (filled donuts) and sernik (cheesecake).

5. Are there any unique cultural experiences to have in Poland?

Yes, there are many unique cultural experiences to have in Poland. Some examples include participating in a traditional Polish cooking class, visiting a local farm to learn about rural life, and attending a folk music or dance performance. You can also explore the country's rich history by visiting museums and historical sites.