Tags: beta, function, variables
Share this thread:
springo
Feb14-09, 06:28 PM
P: 126
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
[tex]\int_{0}^{3}\sqrt[3]{\frac{3-x}{x^2}}\: \mathrm{d}x[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm pretty sure I have to use Euler's Beta function, so I tried to change the limits to 0 and 1 by setting x = 3u (so dx = 3du). However there must be some mistake when I did it because I checked and I did it wrong:
[tex]\int_{0}^{3}\sqrt[3]{\frac{3-x}{x^2}}\: \mathrm{d}x=\int_{0}^{1}\sqrt[3]{\frac{3-3u}{(3u)^2}}\: 3\cdot\mathrm{d}u=3^{\frac{2}{3}}\cdot\beta\left(\frac{1}{3},\frac{4}{3 }\right)[/tex]

Thanks a lot for your help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
CompuChip
Feb15-09, 04:13 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
Hmm then what should be the correct answer. Because, unless I am still asleep, both your change of variables and your identifying the arguments of the beta function are quite all right. I even got the same prefactor with a 2/3 exponent.
springo
Feb15-09, 08:48 AM
Well, Mathematica says:
[tex]\int_{0}^{3}\sqrt[3]{\frac{3-x}{x^2}}\: \mathrm{d}x=\left(\frac{3}{2}\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}\cdot\beta\left(\frac {1}{3},\frac{1}{2}\right)[/tex]

CompuChip
Feb15-09, 10:49 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Beta function and changing variables

But when I evaluate both numerically, I get the same answer up to 4*$MachineEpsilon.

Beta[1/3, 4/3] == (1/2)^(2/3) Beta[1/3, 1/2] // FullSimplify
gives True.

So probably there is some property of the Beta function (which can most likely be derived from the Gamma function) which you need to show.
springo
Feb15-09, 11:43 AM
OK thanks I think Mathematica isn't using beta function though because in all my integrals when I try to check them I get a different output, which I can't get to even when I try FullSimplify[Beta[whatever, whatever]]. However after try the comparison I get true.
CompuChip
Feb15-09, 01:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Just a general remark...

In my experience Mathematica sometimes does strange things with comparisons, and seen instances of
SomeExpression == DifferentExpression
giving True.

I suggest always FullSimplify'ing the difference betweeen your and Mathematica's answer
MyExpression - MathematicaResult // FullSimplify
and checking it gives zero.
springo
Feb15-09, 02:39 PM
Thanks, I'm just learning how to use Mathematica and I didn't know about that feature.

Now I'm stuck with the last integral in my problem sheet... this one I can't solve (b > 2 and a > 0).
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-\sqrt{x}}{x^b-a^b}\: \mathrm{d}x[/tex]
I'm thinking that it's going to be a beta too (duh, it's the gamma-beta functions section of the problem set), so I should change that infinity to either 1 or pi/2.
Since changing it to pi/2 would imply having arctan in my integral (wouldn't it?) it doesn't look good. So I guess I need a 1... but I can't think of anything good there.

Register to reply