New Feature: Highlighted Threads!

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: feature, highlighted, threads
Share this thread:
Greg Bernhardt
Feb18-09, 11:51 AM
Admin
P: 9,328
Because PF is so active, many interesting threads become lost over the months or years. In order to mark and track these threads for later viewing we've developed the "Highlighted Threads" feature. It will also be useful for finding new interesting threads you may have missed. Over time it will serve as a sort of "Best of PF" reference.

These highlighted threads (which are public) will be displayed here:
http://www.physicsforums.com

On the homepage in the breadcrumb navbar there is a link toggle to switch back and forth between views. "Physics Forums - Switch to Forum view / Highlighted Threads".

The usergroups that can highlight a thread are: Staff, Science Advisors, Homework Helpers, Retired Staff, PF Contributors. You'll find a "Highlight Thread" link in the "Thread Tools" dropdown at the thread level.

So those with permission, if you come across a thread that is interesting and you'd like to share with others, go ahead and hit "Highlight Thread". A few new highlighted threads a day would be ideal, don't be shy!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
lisab
Feb18-09, 12:01 PM
Mentor
P: 2,977
Greg, is there a way to see who did the highlighting?
Evo
Feb18-09, 12:27 PM
Mentor
P: 26,473
Will there be any weeding out of threads? I see some threads highlighted that have made me scratch my head. I'm hoping people don't use this feature as a way of just "tagging" a thread they're discussing.

Greg Bernhardt
Feb18-09, 12:30 PM
Admin
New Feature: Highlighted Threads!

Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Greg, is there a way to see who did the highlighting?
No, not sure it's relevant.

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Will there be any weeding out of threads? I see some threads highlighted that have made me scratch my head. I'm hoping people don't use this feature as a way of just "tagging" a thread they're discussing.
Those who can highlight, can also unhighlight
Evo
Feb18-09, 12:33 PM
Mentor
I think the idea is great, there have been some awesome threads that really deserve a special place.

Thanks for setting this up Greg!
tiny-tim
Feb18-09, 12:35 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Greg, nice feature, but it would be better if the link was to the thread itself, ie to the first post, rather than to the last one (as in Bowling ball rubber sheet analogy)
Bystander
Feb18-09, 12:58 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,384
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
(snip)
Those who can highlight, can also unhighlight
Darwinism? To remain highlighted, a thread has to pass the "weeding" reflexes of the entire staff? For a net permanent highlight population of zero.
Evo
Feb18-09, 01:25 PM
Mentor
I don't think people are going to be making an effort to delete threads. If people use the feature wisely it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Ivan Seeking
Feb18-09, 06:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Greg, I think this is an excellent new feature. Great work!
dlgoff
Feb18-09, 07:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,704
Nice.

Clicking on the thread link works okay but clicking on the forum link brings up the vBulletin Message "Invalid Forum specified".
Kurdt
Feb18-09, 07:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,981
Yes the forum links seem to have, p=forum ID# rather than f=forum ID# at the end of their link on the favourite threads view.
[Quadratic]
Feb18-09, 07:59 PM
P: 57
Excellent. I requested something like this a couple years ago and I'm sure I'm not the only one to bring it up.
Gokul43201
Feb18-09, 08:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by [Quadratic] View Post
Excellent. I requested something like this a couple years ago and I'm sure I'm not the only one to bring it up.
I remember that one. It was a New Year's request.

Found it:
Quote Quote by [Quadratic on Jan 1, 2006] View Post
I'm not sure if this has been requested before, but I thought a "Best of" sticky would be nice for each forum (or at least the physics and math forums ) Anyway I thought that if the moderators of their respective forums or other mentors had time to link certain threads they found the most interesting or important, it would be easier for members to get to the good stuff if they're pressed for time. I know the mentors have lives away from PF , but it's just an idea.
I don't think I've seen anyone else ask for something like this.
Andre
Feb19-09, 10:14 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
great tool but then I tried to fied that button in some thread, nada, niente, nowhere, So after ample research and consulting friends, there seems to be a thread tools menu in the bar above the first post of the thread, which I have never noticed before, probably because I choose to inverse the order of the thread a long time ago, new posts first, instead of old posts first.

For better monkey proof handling it might be an idea to intergrate all menu functions in a single menu bar always on top of the page.
Greg Bernhardt
Feb19-09, 10:54 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by Andre View Post
For better monkey proof handling it might be an idea to intergrate all menu functions in a single menu bar always on top of the page.
hmmm it's on every post page for me.
Kurdt
Feb19-09, 11:00 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
It appears every 17 posts because the forum default # of posts per page is 16 (for reasons I can't fathom). If you change how many posts you display per page (I have mine set at 10) it still appears on every 17th post.
Greg Bernhardt
Feb19-09, 11:08 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post
It appears every 17 posts because the forum default # of posts per page is 16 (for reasons I can't fathom). If you change how many posts you display per page (I have mine set at 10) it still appears on every 17th post.
ha, I never noticed that before, hmmm
Kurdt
Feb19-09, 11:11 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I think that means I spend far too much time on here.

Register to reply