Register to reply

Tips for an engineering student

by Kruum
Tags: engineering, student, tips
Share this thread:
Kruum
Mar6-09, 06:05 AM
P: 220
I'm a first year engineering student in a Finnish University. I'm majoring in electronics, more specifically microchip and microprocessor design, and was thinkin to take my minor from something completely different area like economics. Currently I'm only aiming for masters degree. I know this combination is desired after in Finland, but my post-graduate dream is to move to United-States. What are the prospects of getting a job with education like this in US? Should I apply for an exchange program? What are the chances for a foreigner to get a job in US in general? Anything else I can do to improve my chances?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
csprof2000
Mar6-09, 07:20 AM
P: 287
I think an electronics (electrical engineering, I'm guessing) and economics combination would be very employable, and probably help with management positions.

That being said, there are others here who will have more knowledge of that field, and of industry.
Kruum
Mar6-09, 07:47 AM
Quote Quote by csprof2000 View Post
(electrical engineering, I'm guessing)
Yep, that's right.

That being said, there are others here who will have more knowledge of that field, and of industry.
So what you're saying is, I should consentrate on one field only, not mix engineering and economics? Or are maybe implying something about finnish education.

csprof2000
Mar6-09, 12:11 PM
P: 287
Tips for an engineering student

No, all I'm saying is that other people on these forums will know more about non-academic jobs than I do... and will be able to give you better advice.
Kruum
Mar7-09, 01:03 AM
Quote Quote by csprof2000 View Post
No, all I'm saying is that other people on these forums will know more about non-academic jobs than I do... and will be able to give you better advice.
Ah, okay. I thought by here you meant US. Thanks for the reply, though.

Anybody else has suggestions?
Overkill777
Mar20-09, 11:31 AM
P: 15
If you want to get a job in the U.S, it seems that your best bet would be to get a degree in the US, although I am no expert on this.

My girlfriend wanted to go the the UK for grad schools but her professors convinced her it would be better to go in the US if you want to live in the US.
mvangeffen
Apr9-09, 10:51 AM
P: 1
Hi,

i did an education like that in the netherlands (commercieel Ingenieur as in Commerce and Engineering). Now i'm a lecturer there. I am looking for the same education in Finland!

Marcel van Geffen

Register to reply