Tags: energy, free, gibbs
Share this thread:
Swerting
Mar7-09, 03:07 PM
P: 35
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The reaction is [tex]NH_{4}Cl(s)\rightarrow NH_{3}(g)+HCl(g)[/tex]
[tex]\Delta H^{o}=+176 kJ and \Delta G^{o}=+91.2 kJ[/tex] at 298 K
What is the value of [tex]\Delta G[/tex] at 1000 K?

2. Relevant equations
[tex]\Delta G=\Delta H-T\Delta S[/tex]
The same applies if all 'deltas' are standard

3. The attempt at a solution
Well, I solved for standard change of entropy ([tex]\Delta S^{o}[/tex]) and came up with .284 kJ/K, which is the same when using a table of standard entropies. My problem is, I'm not sure where to go from this to find [tex]\Delta G[/tex], or even a way to link standard values to normal values for these. I tried plugging in the values for standard delta H and delta S with 1000K to find delta G, but something tells me that this is incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Swerting
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Mapes
Mar7-09, 04:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
Why do you think your first approach is incorrect?
Swerting
Mar7-09, 04:53 PM
I believe that my first approach is incorrect since standard values are at 298.15K, and this is asking for delta G at 1000K, implying that delta H and delta S have changed as well.

Mapes
Mar7-09, 05:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
Gibbs Free Energy help

Do you know how to calculate changes in [itex]\Delta H[/itex] and [itex]\Delta S[/itex] with temperature? (Hint: it involves the heat capacity.) Alternatively, you could look up these values at 1000 K.
Swerting
Mar7-09, 05:32 PM
I can calculate [tex]\Delta H[/tex] from changes in temperature, but unfortuneately, not [tex]\Delta S[/tex], nor could I find a table of entropies at 1000K.
Swerting
Mar7-09, 05:46 PM
Alright, well, in the depths of the internet I finally found the answer explained, and apparently my using standard delta H and S were correct. The answers from the company that make the questions say that delta S doesn't change (thought says nothing about delta H) and so I just plug in the values and solve for delta G. Ah well, who would've guessed that values so dependant on temperature don't really change over an actual temperature change. :P
Thank you very much for your help!

-Swerting

Register to reply