Register to reply

Factors of product of n distinct primes

by de_brook
Tags: distinct, factors, primes, product
Share this thread:
de_brook
Mar9-09, 06:48 PM
P: 74
What will be the numbers of positive factors of product of n distinct prime numbers?

i was able to get 2^n. pls how do i prove this?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
csprof2000
Mar9-09, 07:02 PM
P: 287
In any factor you come up with, it will either be divisible by one of the n unique primes, or not. Whether or not your particular factor is divisible by a prime is independent of whether your factor is divisible by another prime; so how many ways can you make a factor if you have to make n yes/no decisions?

Think about it as a prime factor set. You're finding the cardinality of the power set...
de_brook
Mar9-09, 07:09 PM
Quote Quote by csprof2000 View Post
In any factor you come up with, it will either be divisible by one of the n unique primes, or not. Whether or not your particular factor is divisible by a prime is independent of whether your factor is divisible by another prime; so how many ways can you make a factor if you have to make n yes/no decisions?

Think about it as a prime factor set. You're finding the cardinality of the power set...
you mean there will exist a 1-1 correspondence between power set of a set A with cardinality n and the set of positive factors of the product of n primes

csprof2000
Mar9-09, 10:03 PM
Factors of product of n distinct primes

Yes. Hence the 2^n.
de_brook
Mar10-09, 03:03 AM
Quote Quote by csprof2000 View Post
Yes. Hence the 2^n.
what about if the primes are not distinct? i don't the number of positive factor will be 2^n, it will be less than that.
csprof2000
Mar10-09, 06:19 AM
You said "distinct primes" in your first post. So your answer - and my reason - were correct.

If you are now changing the question, that's fine.

If the primes are not distinct, all you need to do is to calculate the number of equivalence classes of primes. For instance,

P = {2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 5, 7, 7, 11, 11, 11, 11}

=>

P' = { {2, 2}, {3, 3, 3}, {5}, {7, 7}, {11, 11, 11, 11} }

Then the number of factors is 2^|P'| = 32.

If the primes are all unique, then clearly |P'| = |P|.
matt grime
Mar10-09, 07:55 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,398
That is clearly incorrect: just consider a prime power. By your logic it always has exactly 2 divisors.

Google for Euler's phi (or totient) function.
csprof2000
Mar10-09, 10:43 AM
Oh, yeah. Sorry, I was still thinking in terms of the first question.

Matt Grime is correct for the second question. I was for the first one. Sorry for the confusion...

Register to reply