why do high-frequency sounds make people more alert and create tension?

by Nemui
Tags: alert, highfrequency, people, sounds, tension
Nemui
Mar20-09, 03:02 PM
P: 2
Hello,

I was wondering why high-frequency sounds make people more alert (often films use high-pitched sound to create tension).

I was told it is something to do with high-frequency sounds having more energy so they seem closer to us and therefore have more immediate impact but I wasn't sure.

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
T.O.E Dream
Mar20-09, 03:20 PM
P: 218
Oh my god, I DON'T KNOW!

i'm kidding but i think this might help, i just looked it up right now so sorry if it doesn't.
http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/163158.html
Nemui
Mar20-09, 05:35 PM
P: 2
Thank you for your help- it's not quite what I'm trying to find out-your link was more about why low frequency sounds can have a negative effect on health. I'm more interested in the effects of high frequency sounds

Thanks

Phrak
Mar20-09, 06:11 PM
P: 4,513

why do high-frequency sounds make people more alert and create tension?

This sounds like a psychology question.
pallidin
Mar21-09, 04:45 PM
P: 2,292
There is one word to describe this phenomenon... irritation.

Through any form of sensory irritation 2-things happen: a heightened sense of the event, and, a pseudo-automatic response to either accept it or "fight-or-flight"
Phrak
Mar22-09, 02:50 AM
P: 4,513
Quote Quote by pallidin View Post
There is one word to describe this phenomenon... irritation.

Through any form of sensory irritation 2-things happen: a heightened sense of the event, and, a pseudo-automatic response to either accept it or "fight-or-flight"
I'd agree with that, pallidin. High frequencies at a sustained note invoke a primeval alert response. But it cant be just the irritation alone. There is nothing more irritating than the unique disharmonics of a baby crying, with th exception of a practiced four or five year old, with better lungs, who has learned to apply what works best . Parents scramble, and strangers mutter. Sibblings take notes, and teenagers consider changing stomping grounds.

It seems there should be a noun for the invoked feeling on hearing a high frequency alarm. I can't think what it is--other than perhaps 'alarmed'.
y280z
Aug29-11, 10:25 PM
P: 1
The high-frequency is higher then your body frequency is,this will irritate you and may cause a little tension for you. For example, you go to the beach and listen to the waves crash,relaxing, because the wave frequency is at or near your body frequency. Also, a song you like very much is also at or very near your body frequency,and on the flip side, a song you really dislike is very far from your body frequency.

Register to reply