Register to reply

Frequency response of a transfer function

by swraman
Tags: frequency, function, transfer
Share this thread:
swraman
May6-09, 06:35 PM
P: 145
If I have a transfer function, and I need the frequency response of it, how do I go about doing it?

Is there a easier way than inverse Laplace transforming it, then Fourier transforming that?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tiny UAVs and hummingbirds are put to test
Britain to trial driverless cars from 2015
NIST corrosion lab tests suggest need for underground gas tank retrofits
chroot
May6-09, 06:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,428
In what variable is your transfer function specified? z? s?

- Warren
swraman
May6-09, 07:41 PM
it is in terms of s.

berkeman
May7-09, 12:47 AM
Mentor
P: 40,729
Frequency response of a transfer function

Quote Quote by swraman View Post
it is in terms of s.
And what does s expand out to? An expression involving ....

If you have the transfer function in terms of s, you will just plot the real an imaginary parts of it versus frequency.... (or the magnitude and phase as a function of frequency, like you get on an impedance analyzer).
MATLABdude
May7-09, 12:58 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
Might want to take a look at this thread, on transfer functions:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=312140

EDIT: Wait, that's your thread! Never mind then...
berkeman
May7-09, 01:06 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by MATLABdude View Post
Might want to take a look at this thread, on transfer functions:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=312140

EDIT: Wait, that's your thread! Never mind then...
LOL. I know, most of the time I go to google to search for related info for a PF question, the dang OP is at the top of the search list! Google is no dummy -- their spiders are all over us.
MATLABdude
May7-09, 01:14 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
LOL. I know, most of the time I go to google to search for related info for a PF question, the dang OP is at the top of the search list! Google is no dummy -- their spiders are all over us.
They are, except that this is the OP's thread from yesterday (or day before last, or... dammit, 24+ hours ago). I recalled writing something about transfer functions and Laplace to Fourier transforms. I then realized that this was the same poster! Must not've done a terribly good job...
berkeman
May7-09, 01:18 AM
Mentor
They are, except that this is the OP's thread from yesterday (or day before last, or... dammit, 24+ hours ago). I recalled writing something about transfer functions and Laplace to Fourier transforms. I then realized that this was the same poster! Must not've done a terribly good job...
Ah, got it. No, that other thread looks to contain great help. It's different enough that I won't merge the two threads yet. May even highlight that other thread....
swraman
May7-09, 02:13 AM
MATLABdude you did a good job clearing up what a transfer function is, etc. in that thread. I dont know why, but in my introductory signals class we didnt cover Leplace transforms or Transfer functions, we only did Fourier transforms for frequency analysis. So I was/am fuzzy about Leplace transforms (im still to take controls classes and advanced signal analysis). Unfortunatley im now takinga class that requires that, and I want to try to at least partially understand it so the class im in now won't be useless.

Anyway, [tex]s = i \omega[/tex].
I was suposed to plot the frequency response of the transfer function, which was easily done in MATLAB, but I want to know the theory behind it.

Thanks again
ksapio
Sep12-11, 12:42 PM
P: 1
In order to get the Frequency response from the transfer function, you just need to plus in jω for all s. Assuming it exists, this will be your frequency response, aka the Fourier transform of your original signal in the time domain.

I know this is an old forum... but I figure this may help anyone looking at this in the future.

Register to reply