Using complex exponentials

by aks_sky
Tags: complex, exponentials
Share this thread:
aks_sky
May6-09, 11:04 PM
P: 56
∫_0^∞ e^-x sin (ax) dx

integrating from 0 to infinity for e^-x sin (ax)

i was wondering that if i use complex exponentials for this will it be the same as solving for ∫_0^∞ e^-x cos (ax) dx. Will it make any difference if there is sin instead of cos because i know how to solve for cos (ax) but i dont know if it makes any difference if the cos is replaced by a sin.. does it make any difference?

cheers
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Dick
May6-09, 11:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
It makes a difference in the sense that the answer is different, yes. The technique is pretty much the same, if that's what you mean.
aks_sky
May6-09, 11:22 PM
yup, because if i use cos (ax) i can replace it with e ^ i(ax) because i can use the complex exponential there. But what do i use for sin (ax).. i will just do what i did for cos (ax)

∫_0^∞ e^-x. e^i(ax) ..... (((since ∫_0^∞ e-x (cos ax + isin ax) dx)))

Therefore we get:

∫_0^∞ e^-(1-ia)x dx

then i can go ahead from there to get 1/ 1 + a^2.... now the only thing i am confused with is that this is for the complex exp. for cos (ax) what will it be for sin (ax)

Cyosis
May7-09, 02:09 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,495
Using complex exponentials

Are you claiming that [itex]\cos ax+i \sin ax=\cos a x[/itex]? This is of course not true. Try [itex]\sin x=Im(e^{i x})[/itex].
HallsofIvy
May7-09, 06:06 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,533
Quote Quote by aks_sky View Post
yup, because if i use cos (ax) i can replace it with e ^ i(ax) because i can use the complex exponential there.
You can't just "replace it with e^i(ax)". e^(iax)= cos(x)+ i sin(x). You can replace cos(x) with e^i(ax) and then just take the real part of the answer. And, of course, with sin(ax) you can replace it with e^i(ax) and take only the imaginary part of the answer.

But what do i use for sin (ax).. i will just do what i did for cos (ax)

∫_0^∞ e^-x. e^i(ax) ..... (((since ∫_0^∞ e-x (cos ax + isin ax) dx)))

Therefore we get:

∫_0^∞ e^-(1-ia)x dx

then i can go ahead from there to get 1/ 1 + a^2.... now the only thing i am confused with is that this is for the complex exp. for cos (ax) what will it be for sin (ax)
aks_sky
May7-09, 06:23 AM
ahhh i get it.. sweet.. thank u

Register to reply