Closing a circuit with a capacitor

by daniel_i_l
Tags: capacitor, circuit, closing
Share this thread:
daniel_i_l
May9-09, 01:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 867
I have an electromagnet that I want to be activated for two seconds as soon as I turn the power on. I think that this can be done by connecting the electromagnet to the power source in a series with a capacitor and a resistor. As soon as the power is turned on the EM would work until the capacitor gets charged up and cuts off the circuit. Is that true? If so, how do I calculate the sizes of the resistor and capacitor that I need?
Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules
CU-Boulder leads international unmanned aircraft testing event at Pawnee Grassland
Gesture-controlled, autonomous vehicles may be valuable helpers in logistics and trans-shipment centers
TurtleMeister
May9-09, 01:52 PM
P: 753
I don't think the capacitor idea is a good solution to your problem because the current will gradually decrease as the capacitor charges. I'm assuming you would prefer to have the electromagnet have it's full power for the duration of the time interval. Also, you would need to have a safe way to discharge the capacitor after power is removed. A better solution would be to use a normally-closed, timed-open, relay.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_5/3.html

Register to reply