Register to reply

Polarizaition and susceptibility

Share this thread:
KFC
Jun3-09, 12:11 PM
P: 369
In some unit, the relation of (linear) polarization and susceptibility can be written of

[tex]P(t) = \chi E(t)[/tex]

but I also read some expression in other text reads

[tex]P(\omega) = \chi(\omega) E(\omega)[/tex]

why change the time to frequency? Why polarization depends on frequency?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Researchers find first direct evidence of 'spin symmetry' in atoms
X-ray laser probes tiny quantum tornadoes in superfluid droplets
Andy Resnick
Jun3-09, 12:27 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,517
Your equations are not really written correctly. The first one, the time dependent one, should really be written as a convolution: The polarization of a linear isotropic medium with a local but noninstantaneous response (but still independent of time) is:

P(t)=[itex]\int \chi(t-\tau)E(\tau)d\tau[/itex]

And taking the Fourier transform of this equation provides your second expression.

If the material responds instantaneously and has no memory[[itex]\chi(t-\tau) = \chi\delta(t-\tau)[/itex]], then the convolution integral reduces to your first expression.

Having a frequency-dependent susceptibility is simply dispersion.
KFC
Jun3-09, 12:54 PM
P: 369
Quote Quote by Andy Resnick View Post
Your equations are not really written correctly. The first one, the time dependent one, should really be written as a convolution: The polarization of a linear isotropic medium with a local but noninstantaneous response (but still independent of time) is:

P(t)=[itex]\int \chi(t-\tau)E(\tau)d\tau[/itex]

And taking the Fourier transform of this equation provides your second expression.

If the material responds instantaneously and has no memory[[itex]\chi(t-\tau) = \chi\delta(t-\tau)[/itex]], then the convolution integral reduces to your first expression.

Having a frequency-dependent susceptibility is simply dispersion.
Oh ... I just wonder why in textbook they don't say it is a convolution! So you mean in frequency domain susceptibility is the repsonse function?

BTW, can you tell me one text in which the author show clearly the convolution relation b/w polarization, susceptibility and field? I am writing a short report and need a reference

Register to reply