by Su Solberg
Tags: acting, force, gear, obtain, teeth
Share this thread:
Su Solberg
Jun8-09, 03:40 AM
P: 79
Hi everyone.
I wonder how to obtain ,
let say a 20T gear connect to a 40T gear compare to a 40T connect to 60T gear. (teeth size is the same)

Suppose the transmitted force (at the outer of the gear) is the same, is there any different froce on the teethes in each pair (larger no. of gear teeth will suffer lower value due to sharing with neibour teethes)?

Thanks for your kind help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
minger
Jun8-09, 07:47 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,498
This is a hard question to quantify without real numbers. If the gear teeth are the same size, and you increase the number of them, then this will increase the size of the gear. For the same operating conditions, this will typically result in lower pitch line velocity and lower forces.

The contact ratio (the average number of teeth in contact) is a function of more than what you provided.

Aside from the standard bending stresses, there are also frictional stresses which are very dependednt on the pressure angle among other things.
lividz
Jun8-09, 08:31 AM
P: 11
Sorry but ur question seems vague...bcoz
For gear teeth we look at the stress induced and not the force acting on the teeth[I mean finally to conclude sumthing]

Analysis of gear stresses can b done using diff theories...lets take the oldest 1:-
Lewis theory...

the main (i/p)s' to Lewis eqn r torque,No of teeth,module..then u get the Max stress induced ... from which u can conclude...

Offcourse u need to get the forces acting on gear teeth[by P-torque*(Angular velocity) ;and F=M/d]
But only forces just can help us to conclude anything related specifically to gear[u need them for bearings,shaft design]

I hope this helped u...

really soory if ur askin sumthing like stress distribution within a single teeth and then compare 2 diff teeth...
I've approached ur question the Theoretical way...
Practically there r mny softwares specially designed to analyse the same[Which I dont know!]

minger
Jun8-09, 10:45 AM
Sci Advisor
How to obtain the force acting on a gear teeth

Right, fighting my way though lividv's post, I'd have to agree. To find the "force" you simply take your applied torque and multiply it by a distance. For maximum stress, that force is typically applied at what is called the highest point of single tooth contact (HPSTC). That generates the highest bending moment on that tooth.

The force applied is easy, the stress calculation on the other hand...
Nick Bruno
Jun8-09, 02:42 PM
P: 100
If you are very serious about machine design, or determining analytical data on gears, I'd suggest this book:

http://finderscheapers.com/books-pri...-0-07-331260-6

It has a great example in the back on how to design a gear box as well. It addresses bending and contact stresses, shaft stresses, bearing selection, stress concentrations, keys, and almost anything imaginable. ( also has numerous tables for materials )

Enjoy.
lividz
Jun8-09, 09:53 PM
P: 11
^hhmm here the torrent link for the same book:

http://www.torrentz.com/4a1d466b6411...9e74cde5115409

The main thing is that its with solutions...thats a major +point!
Mech King
Jun12-09, 09:19 AM
P: 73
Minger,
"The force applied is easy, the stress calculation on the other hand... "
Shorely once the max moment of the tooth has been determined, you simply divide by the section modulus (Z) of the gear tooth at the point of application of the load to determine the shear stress?
FredGarvin
Jun12-09, 10:20 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Quote Quote by Mech King View Post
Minger,

Shorely once the max moment of the tooth has been determined, you simply divide by the section modulus (Z) of the gear tooth at the point of application of the load to determine the shear stress?
Not so. It will greatly depend on the radius at the root of the teeth.
minger
Jun12-09, 10:48 AM
Sci Advisor
Its actually bending stress that is the failure driver in gear fillets. As Fred said, MUCH of the stresses depend not only on the fillet radius, but even how the fillet was formed (hobbed, ground, etc).

Gears are quite a complex little part, both geometrically and the dynamic loading that they see. You'll notice when you go through the standards that you are in fact NOT calculating stresses; you are calculating stress numbers. AGMA specifically does this to ensure that you do not compare these to material strengths. They are purely semi-arbitrary numbers that should only be compared to equivalent strength-numbers.

Register to reply