why water compressibility is neglicable

by bigbrother
Tags: compressibility
bigbrother
Jul6-09, 05:33 AM
P: 4
can any one help me to have simple definition for compressibility and oil compressibility and why water compressibility is neglicable and for synthetic oils what is the effect of compressibilit on them compared to wter and diesel
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
FredGarvin
Jul6-09, 07:51 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Compressibility can be looked at as the change in volume with change in pressure. Or, similarly, you can look at in terms of change in density with respect to pressure.

If you look at the density of air over a range of pressures, you'll see that it doesn't take much pressure to have a significant affect on the density. However water's density will only vary about 2% up to pressures of about 7000 psi.

It is a judgment call on whether or not to use the incompressible assumption or not.
bigbrother
Jul7-09, 12:21 AM
many thanks for your response but kindly could you advice about the oil comperssibility compared to water

FredGarvin
Jul7-09, 07:07 AM
Sci Advisor

why water compressibility is neglicable

They are both incompressible up to some very large pressures. I'll see if I can't dig some actual numbers up.
FredGarvin
Jul7-09, 07:10 AM
Sci Advisor
Here you go:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bu...ity-d_585.html
bigbrother
Jul7-09, 08:48 AM
many thanks for this valuable link
but could you please confirm with me what i understood from this is that oil comperssibility is the same as water,no great diferrences between them
is that true

Register to reply