Help with Lorentz transformations

In summary: I'm assuming you meant 8.66 minutes after the light pulse meets the ship.In summary, Nisse was trying to work out how to use the Lorentz equations but was having difficulty. He asked for help from someone and was told that he needed to use a speed of 0.866c in order to have a length contraction and a time dilation. He was then asked about the questions that he had asked, and it was clarified that they were referring to the ship's reference frame.
Nisse
I'm trying to work out how to use the Lorentz equations but so far I haven't been very successful. It would help if I had an example to let me know what I'm aiming for, so if someone would be kind enough to answer my questions about the fairly simple scenario below I would be very grateful.

-----------
Two space stations A and B are 18.66 light minutes apart and at rest with respect to each other and to an independent observer O. All their clocks are synchronized.

At time T0, A sends a light pulse towards B, while B launches a ship at 0.866c towards A. Observer O should see the light pulse meet the ship after 10 minutes, 8.66 light minutes from B. The ship, of course, should see the light pulse approaching it at speed c.

When the ship meets the light pulse, it immediately (in its frame) decelerates and is at rest with respect to A, B and O.
-----------

All of the following questions relate to the ship's reference frame.

1. At the point of its launch, how far does the ship regard the distance to A?
2. After 1 minute has elapsed, how far is the ship from B, and how far is the light pulse from A?
3. How much time has elapsed when the light pulse meets the ship, and how far is the ship from B at this point?
4. After the ship has stopped and is at rest with respect to O, how far from B does it find itself?

Apologies if these seem like daft questions, but any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nisse! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I chose a speed of 0.866c because that gives a length contraction of approx. 0.5 and a time dilation of approx. 2, just to make things easier. Here are the answers I got:

1. At the point of launch, traveling at 0.866c, the ship thinks the distance to A is 9.33 light minutes.

2. After 1 minute the ship is 0.866 light minutes from B. As the gap between the ship and the light pulse is decreasing at speed c, the ship thinks the light pulse is now 0.134 light minutes from A.

3. The ship meets the light pulse after 9.33 seconds, at a distance of 8.08 light minutes from B.

4. After the ship has stopped, it finds itself 16.16 light minutes from B. Observer O sees the ship stop 8.66 minutes after it meets the light pulse.

Is any of this correct, or have I got it completely wrong?

Anyone?

:frown:

Sorry for the lack of attention :-( I think you've got it, though. Assuming that in #3 you meant 9.33 minutes, not seconds. The other thing is that the observer would see the ship stop immediately when it reaches the light pulse, since those are simultaneous, colocated events (same time, same place, so all observers see them as such). Why did you say that O sees the ship stop 8.66 minutes after meeting the light pulse?

1. What are Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are a set of equations used in special relativity to describe how measurements of time and space are affected by different reference frames that are moving relative to each other at constant velocities.

2. Why are Lorentz transformations important?

Lorentz transformations are important because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding the principles of special relativity, which is essential for accurately describing the behavior of objects at high speeds and in different reference frames.

3. How do Lorentz transformations work?

Lorentz transformations involve a set of equations that relate the measurements of time and space between two reference frames moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. The equations take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are fundamental concepts in special relativity.

4. What is the significance of the Lorentz factor in these transformations?

The Lorentz factor, denoted by the Greek letter gamma (γ), is a crucial component of the Lorentz transformations. It is a mathematical term that represents the ratio of time and distance in one reference frame to the time and distance in another reference frame. It is used to account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.

5. How are Lorentz transformations applied in real-world situations?

Lorentz transformations are applied in various fields of science and technology, including particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. They are used to calculate the behavior of particles moving at high speeds, to make precise measurements in experiments, and to accurately describe the behavior of objects in different reference frames, such as in GPS technology.