Register to reply

Latent heat effects thermal equilibrium

by saykaof
Tags: effects, equilibrium, heat, latent, thermal
Share this thread:
saykaof
Jul17-09, 08:43 PM
P: 2
Can anyone explain that how the ice's temperature is zero degree and water's temperature is 80 degree are mix and their final temperature is zero degree if the both ice and water has the same mass?

Where:
mc(delta T) of water = (mc(delta T) + mL ) of ice
the result for final temperature is 0 degree but how can it be???

This is telling me that if I have a perfect insulation container then every drop of water at 80 degree can be zero degree as long as the intial mass is the same, is it true?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
fluidistic
Jul17-09, 08:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,207
Quote Quote by saykaof View Post
Can anyone explain that how the ice's temperature is zero degree and water's temperature is 80 degree are mix and their final temperature is zero degree if the both ice and water has the same mass?
Because water has a latent heat. At normal pressure, you need around 80 cal to transform 1 g of 0C ice into 0C water, which is the heat needed to cool off 1 g of water by 80C.
For further reading : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_of_fusion.
cfung
Jul17-09, 09:15 PM
P: 17
Absolutely wonderful for both the question and solution.

It's delightful for me, too, to realize that all that 80 celcius worth of kinetic energy in water are absorbed by the ice in order to cause a phase transition from 0 celcius solid to 0 celcius liquid.

It'd be wonderful to see this in reality, only if i have the tool to precisely control the temperature and mix them with near perfect isolation.

russ_watters
Jul17-09, 11:37 PM
Mentor
P: 22,305
Latent heat effects thermal equilibrium

You can do the experiment in a thermos easily enough.
saykaof
Jul18-09, 09:37 AM
P: 2
Thanks all for your explanation, they were simple enough for me to understand my problem.

Register to reply