Register to reply

File sharing

by kasse
Tags: file, sharing
Share this thread:
kasse
Aug5-09, 02:10 AM
P: 463
What should libertarians think about file sharing?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
drankin
Aug5-09, 02:15 AM
P: 175
What's a libertarian?
vociferous
Aug5-09, 02:23 AM
P: 256
Quote Quote by drankin View Post
What's a libertarian?
A classical liberal. Someone who believes in limited governmental regulation, both socially and fiscally.

Cyrus
Aug5-09, 02:56 AM
P: 4,777
File sharing

Aren't people supposed to think for themselves?
MissSilvy
Aug5-09, 02:58 AM
P: 299
Why 'should'? There is no 'should' in politics; it's all up to you and your beliefs, party positions be damned. If you're a libertarian, what do you think about file sharing?
kasse
Aug5-09, 03:05 AM
P: 463
Libertarians respect personal property, but can music be regarded private property?
cristo
Aug5-09, 03:18 AM
Mentor
P: 8,316
Quote Quote by kasse View Post
Libertarians respect personal property, but can music be regarded private property?
As opposed to what, public property?
TheStatutoryApe
Aug5-09, 03:20 AM
P: 1,550
Quote Quote by kasse View Post
Its considered 'Intellectual property'.

It depends on how much of a free marketer you are I suppose. Copyright is a form of government regulation intended to spur creative and intellectual endeavour by protecting the creator's ability to profit off of their work. If you think that the government should not be intervening in such things then perhaps you would not agree with copyright protection. You may also see the law as a necessary requirement to maintain fair competition.

Either way I think most libertarians would disagree with many aspects of current copyright law. I typed up a rather long diatribe against current copyright law in another thread. I'll find it if you are interested in reading it.
Chi Meson
Aug5-09, 07:58 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
Aren't people supposed to think for themselves?
I agree with whatever Cyrus says.
mgb_phys
Aug5-09, 08:46 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
Quote Quote by drankin View Post
What's a libertarian?
A cannibal that only eats people who work with books
KingNothing
Aug5-09, 09:20 AM
P: 949
I would reason that a typical libertarian believes that if he or she buys a song, he or she rightly owns it and should legally be able to play and share it with friends, but no further than the extent to which they might share non-copyable goods, such as food or games.
Jimmy Snyder
Aug5-09, 09:47 AM
P: 2,179
A library is all about sharing and librarians should get with the program.
mgb_phys
Aug5-09, 09:57 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
Quote Quote by KingNothing View Post
I would reason that a typical libertarian believes that if he or she buys a song, he or she rightly owns it and should legally be able to play and share it with friends, but no further than the extent to which they might share non-copyable goods, such as food or games.
So they think that they should be allowed to read a centuries old fairy tale to the children at bed time without buying a separate client access license for each child? (And a performance license for the act of reading it allowed.)
junglebeast
Aug5-09, 10:07 AM
P: 462
On the one hand file sharing cheats the authors out of their full potential profits. On the other hand, it raises the level of education and quality of life for EVERYONE. I think that a lot of the rapid advancements of the last 10 years are due in large part to illegal file sharing, which allow information to be disseminated rapidly to anyone who wants it, without monetary boundaries...and I think that the overall effect on our economy and quality of life is enormously positive.
Evo
Aug5-09, 02:54 PM
Mentor
P: 26,523
There is nothing wrong with file sharing. If the former OP meant illegal distribution of copyrighted material. No. Locked.

Register to reply