What are these 3 physics problems and can you solve them?

• Thread starter mt2568
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
It was a small mistake, but it happens to the best of us. Great job catching it and correcting it!In summary, the conversation involved solving three problems related to objects in motion. The first problem involved finding the distance traveled by a falling object, while the second problem required determining the height from which a stone fell. The third problem involved calculating the speed of water leaving a garden hose nozzle. The conversation also included tips and guidance on solving these problems, as well as correcting mistakes.
mt2568
If you know how to do these, please either answer them here or catch me on AIM: Tregaron2002

1. For an object falling freely from rest, show that the distance traveled during each successive second increases in the ration of successive odd integers.

2. A fall stone takes .30 seconds to travel past a window 2.2 m tall. From what height above the top of the window did the stone fall?

3. Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzle vertically upward at a height of 1.5 m above the ground (the hose is 1.5 m off the ground). When you quickly move the nozzle from the vertical you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0 s. What is the water speed as it leaves the nozzle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Problems 1 and 2 have been answered, but number three still alludes me...

eludes not alludes, hehe

Welcome to the forums,

Think of the water's sound stopping as the time when the last of the water finished it's motion.

You can model the last of the water as a particle, then.

You have the total time, angle, starting height, ending height, and gravity. Solve for velocity.

Does that make sense, or do you need more?

BTW: for help in homework on these forums, we ask that you show your work and where you got stuck.

This how I got my answer, not sure if it was right though...

v = V0T + 2AT^2 (2nd Kinematic equation)

x-1.5 = v0(2s) + 2(9.8m/s^2)(2s)

When T = 2, then x- 1.5 is zero (When the water hits the gound the velocity of the water is zero)

v0 = -19.6m/s or 19.6 m/s

Actually forgot to divide that 2s, its 9.6 m/s

Also forgot that one part is .5 not 2, i wrote it wrong but still calculated with the .5

I also got 9.65 (remember those sig figs!). Congratulations on this problem. Keep up the hard work.

Isn't the second kinematic equation (1/2)AT^2 instead of 2AT^2?

Yes, it is. But he found his mistake and corrected it. Using 1/2 instead of 2, he got the appropriate answer.

Oh, right. Heh, sorry, I didn't notice that.

1. What are the three physics problems?

The three physics problems are the double-slit experiment, the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment, and the twin paradox.

2. Can you explain the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This experiment showed that light behaves as both a wave and a particle.

3. What is the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment?

Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment that illustrates the principles of quantum superposition and entanglement. It involves placing a cat in a sealed box with a vial of poison, a hammer, and a radioactive substance. The cat's fate depends on the decay of the radioactive substance, which is unpredictable according to quantum mechanics.

4. How does the twin paradox work?

The twin paradox, also known as the twin paradox of relativity, is a thought experiment that explores the concept of time dilation in special relativity. It involves one twin staying on Earth while the other travels at high speeds in a spaceship. When the traveling twin returns, they have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth due to the effects of time dilation.

5. Can you solve these three physics problems?

As a scientist, I am familiar with these three physics problems and their concepts. However, solving them would require conducting the experiments or performing complex mathematical calculations. As a language model, I am not able to do that, but I can provide information and explanations about these problems.