Force,spring constant,length

• Thread starter dance_sg
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a 7.50-kg ball placed on top of a spring with a spring constant of 475 N/m, and an initial length of 35.0 cm. When the ball reaches equilibrium position, it is supported by both springs at a height of 20.0 cm above the table. The shorter spring has an initial length of 25.0 cm. To find its spring constant, the magnitude of the force exerted by the second spring is equal to the gravitational force minus the force exerted by the first spring. The force of the second spring can be found by dividing the force it exerts on the mass by its displacement at equilibrium position.
dance_sg

Homework Statement

A 7.50-kg ball is placed on top of a spring with a spring constant of 475 N/m that has an initial length of 35.0 cm (h1). When the ball has reached its equilibrium position, it is supported by both springs at a height of 20.0 cm above the table (h3). If the shorter spring has an initial length of 25.0 cm, what is its spring constant?

Homework Equations

f=kx ---->attached is the makeshift drawing i made to resemble the actual diagram since it was to big.

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what my teacher has told me to do : The magnitude of the force exerted by the second spring is equal to the gravitational force minus the force the first spring exerts on the mass. Divide the force the second spring exerts on the mass by the displacement of that spring when the ball is at equilibrium position to find the spring constant for the second spring.

so i have to find the force of both springs whcih i can do for the first one by multiplying 475n/m by 0.35m. how do i find the force of the second one tho?

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry. here is the diagram

Attachments

• springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 448

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between objects. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

What is spring constant?

Spring constant, also known as spring stiffness, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the symbol k and is measured in Newtons per meter (N/m).

How does spring constant affect the force exerted by a spring?

The force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the spring constant. This means that a higher spring constant will result in a greater force exerted by the spring.

What is the relationship between spring constant and length?

The spring constant is inversely proportional to the length of a spring. This means that a longer spring will have a lower spring constant, while a shorter spring will have a higher spring constant.

How does changing the length of a spring affect the force exerted by the spring?

Changing the length of a spring will affect the force exerted by the spring according to Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the change in length from its equilibrium position. Therefore, increasing the length of a spring will result in a decrease in force, while decreasing the length of a spring will result in an increase in force.