Register to reply

Fanless convection heater versus oil filled heater

by Twinbee
Tags: convection, fanless, filled, heater, versus
Share this thread:
Twinbee
Aug20-09, 03:46 PM
P: 117
Both are near silent and 100% (in)efficient, but does the convection heater (with the electric coil where heat rises naturally) make the room more stuffy as I've sometimes heard, or perhaps even deplete oxygen?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
Naty1
Aug20-09, 03:55 PM
P: 5,632
All electric heaters are virtually 100% efficient at converting electric to thermal (heat) power....no electric heater consumes oxygen and as there is no combustion, there are no combustion byproducts....a 1500 watt electric heater (meaning it uses 1500 watts of electric power) in an hour produces about 5120 BTU's...."low cost" electric heaters usually means they have a low power setting which reduces the hourly cost of operation but also the heat output. A fan does move the warm air around the room more so if you sit across the room you might be warmer as a result...or warm more quickly....Ditto for infrared heaters as well.

In cooling, that is, air conditioning, there are differences in efficiencies of conversion quoted as EER or SEER ratings.
Twinbee
Aug20-09, 04:12 PM
P: 117
Would you put the reports of the convectors making the room more "stuffy" down to people's imagination? I don't know, I guess there's a chance of that. I was just thinking the extreme heat of the coil might do something to the air, unlike the oil based heater which obviously has a bigger surface area to project the heat.

Register to reply