Conservation of Momentum for Inelastic Collisions

by david888lee
Tags: collisions, conservation, inelastic, momentum
Share this thread:
david888lee
Sep16-09, 05:37 PM
P: 7
Okay here goes...

I'm having a hard time trying to logically understand how momentum is conserved for inelastic collisions, even though energy is lost. Since energy is lost (in the form of kinetic energy) how can the initial momentum be the same as final momentum. I know I may be confusing conservation of momentum with conservation of mechanical energy but can someone explain this in a simple example to help me visualize it? Thanks in advance!

David
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
Bob_for_short
Sep16-09, 05:51 PM
P: 1,160
Quote Quote by david888lee View Post
Okay here goes...

I'm having a hard time trying to logically understand how momentum is conserved for inelastic collisions, even though energy is lost. Since energy is lost (in the form of kinetic energy) how can the initial momentum be the same as final momentum. I know I may be confusing conservation of momentum with conservation of mechanical energy but can someone explain this in a simple example to help me visualize it? Thanks in advance!

David
Yes, in fact, it is easy. The conservation of momentum is formulated as follows: sum of momenta of all interacting particles conserves for an isolated system whatever internal interaction is.

In inelastic collision some part of initial kinetic energy is spent on rearranging particles within bodies so the total momentum conserves while the kinetic energy does not. Only the sum of kinetic and (new) potential or better other form of energy is conserved. You see, the problem is in fact that kinetic energy is not the sole form of energy in nature, it should not be conserved in general case.

Register to reply