Non-ivy league schools for math, physics?

In summary, the best schools for math and physics are those with comparable curriculums and active student life.
lolgarithms
Chances of entering a "prestigious" university are very slim. What are the best non-Ivy league, non-MIT, non-Caltech schools for math and physics? curriculum must be comparable to those schools

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For undergrad, the quality of the student is more important than the quality of the institution (within reason, of course). Most state schools are very good, and the Big Ten schools are exceptional.

I don't understand which Big Ten you mean.
By "Big Ten", I assume you mean the Ivy League colleges, MIT and Caltech.

Last edited:
The Big Ten is a sports conference, mostly in the midwest. The members are Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio State and Penn State.

No, as in the big 10 conference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference

the only one on the list that I can think of that wouldn't be great is Indiana University. They have great humanities and a medical program, but aren't known for their physics and math...and I'm a Purdue grad so I had to take a stab at them.

And yes, there are eleven universities in the Big Ten. :smile: When they added Penn State a few years ago, they kept the old name because it was so well established. "Big Eleven" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Many of the other "flagship" state universities are also very good: Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, Texas, Colorado, Washington and Oregon come to my mind (not to exclude others).

And then there are smaller private schools. Their pluses and minuses have been discussed here many times.

lolgarithms said:
Chances of entering a "prestigious" university are very slim. What are the best non-Ivy league, non-MIT, non-Caltech schools for math and physics? curriculum must be comparable to those schools

Cal Berkeley, UChicago, Harvey-Mudd College, Reed College, UT Austin, UCLA, and a few others

oh god...first of all, the Big Ten can go to (censored), ACC being the best conference of them all.

Second, if you do not know what the Big Ten is, I suggest you go to a school like Duke. Honestly, your undergrad education is basically the same everywhere, fluctuations are purely determined by the caliber of your peers, not the school itself (you will learn from your peers, and the rigor of your class will be set by the prowess of your peers). The prestige of a university, what I thought several years ago to be "how good" it is, really only helps attract those peers, and that's it. There's no magical difference in curriculum between "good" and "bad" schools in first year physics... if there is, it depends solely on whether you have a teacher who likes teaching in interesting ways or not. The best teacher I have ever had is not a star faculty in the least. He is actually a visiting professor the university keeps every year, but can terminate any year. So he's not a star, but he is ridiculously good at teaching.

You have to remember that, even at "crappy" universities, the professors there were probably some of the best students in their undergrads, considering how difficult it is even for highly qualified candidates to get a professorship anywhere.

But I do suggest you go to a school with both vibrant academic life and sports enthusiasm/good parties. There's a lot more to your undergrad years than just studying. That's what grad school is for.

ok, thanks. does the school i attended as an undergrad affect my grad school admission?

lolgarithms said:
ok, thanks. does the school i attended as an undergrad affect my grad school admission?

To some extent, yes. That's why you need good grades and do some research, if possible. GRE serves as a common denominator. Recommendations from professors who are reputable also count a lot.

lolgarithms said:

UTA
BU
UNCCH
Michigan
UW Madison
Northwestern

(you might have a bit of competition at all of these schools.)

good luck. :smile:

Last edited:
lolgarithms said:
Just to be clear: the school you attend as an undergrad can have some effect on grad school admissions. Coming from a prestigious university can give a boost to an otherwise mediocre candidate, and likewise going to a... well, "unprestigious" (if there is such a thing) university can cause admissions committees to raise some questions. But don't think that your chances of admission to grad school can be seriously crippled just because of which undergrad school you attended, as long as you're well qualified.

And incidentally, the world of higher education isn't divided into Ivy League and "other". There are plenty of non-Ivy schools with equally high-level physics departments, and in fact not all of the Ivies are particular standouts in that area. (Trivia: the Ivy League is a sports conference as well, that just happens to include a few of the country's most prestigious - or at least oldest - universities)

ok, thanks

Also, look for research. Undergrad research will help you get into grad school.

There are plenty of good Canadian schools as well. McGill, UofT, UBC, Waterloo, for example. I think it is at least worth your consideration.

diazona said:
don't think that your chances of admission to grad school can be seriously crippled just because of which undergrad school you attended, as long as you're well qualified.

What is well qualified, GPA?
By the way Georgia Tech is within top 10 in engineering program.

Last edited:
another silly question. if you are going to an x college's graduate school, do they care if you were rejected from x college when you were applying as a high school student?

1. What are some examples of non-Ivy League schools with strong math and physics programs?

Some examples of top non-Ivy League schools for math and physics include Caltech, MIT, Stanford, University of Chicago, and Duke University.

2. How do non-Ivy League schools compare to Ivy League schools in terms of math and physics education?

While Ivy League schools are known for their prestigious reputation and resources, many non-Ivy League schools also offer rigorous and top-notch math and physics programs with dedicated faculty and advanced research opportunities.

3. Are there any advantages to attending a non-Ivy League school for math and physics?

Attending a non-Ivy League school for math and physics can have its advantages, such as smaller class sizes, more personalized attention from professors, and potentially lower tuition costs.

4. Can I still pursue a successful career in math or physics if I don't attend an Ivy League school?

Absolutely! Your success in the field of math or physics will depend more on your dedication, hard work, and passion for the subject rather than the name of the school you attended.

5. How can I find the best non-Ivy League school for my math and physics interests?

Researching and comparing the curriculum, research opportunities, faculty, and resources of different non-Ivy League schools can help you find the best fit for your academic and career goals in math and physics.