Air Compression vs Water Depth

In summary, a person is building a remote controlled diving bell using a 1 liter pickle jar. They are wondering how much air compression to expect at a depth of 10 meters and if there is a simple equation to calculate it. Another person suggests using the ideal gas equation and recommends some reading on pressure and basic physics. The original person thanks them for their help and agrees that they will need to do some reading.
TjFitz
Hey ya,

Well, I have been having a difficult time finding the answer to this question, probably because I don't know the specific terminology. So here I am. I did not know exactly which forum category to put this in so...

I am building a small diving bell with a remote controlled camer inside. Nothing more than a hobby project..

The Bell is actually nothing more than a 1 liter Pickle Jar.

What I am wondering is, how much compression of air can I expect at let's say a max of 10 meter depth. meaning if I have 1 liter of air in the jar, how far will that compress per meter fresh water depth.

I would like to know this because I need to know how much room in the jar I have that I can use, or even how deep I should limit myself before water would reach my gear in the jar.

is there a simple equation which states X cc/ml of air compression per meter depth?

Attachments

• depth.jpg
    depth.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
pV=nRT is all you need. Or even pV=const will do.

In general - look for ideal gas equation.

--

Borek
Thanks for your quick response... But what does it all mean...? I am basically an idiot in this :bugeye:

Yes, you can calculate exactly what the water pressure will be. If you are interested it is simple. If not, then you can use a diving rule of thumb of 1 atmosphere per every 10 meters of depth (it's within about .5 psi depending on a few things). At 10 meters you'll basically be doubling your pressure, therefore halving your volume which sounds like more than accurate enough for what you want to do.

sorry about my delayed responses, I believe there is an anti spammer thingy.. as a newbie my posts have to get approved first. all good..

SH. Ouch.. so, given the ballpark figure, I am filling half my jar at 10m.. looks like I am going to need a larger jar.. otherwise I am going to run out of useable dry space...

ok... one last question. (Promise I'll come back and show what I built)

Would the integrity of the glass (where the air is trapped) be acted upon in the same respect or would it only be effected by the same boyancy as when on the surface.. meaning, is the pressure of the water going to press on the glass or just where the water meets the air inside?

Oh.. and I Wiki'd the pV=nRT.. now it makes sense to me! Thanks B.

Pressure will be identical everywhere - which means you don't have to worry about it.

I feel like you will benefit from some reading about pressure and basic physics in general.

I do agree that I have a bit of reading to do. the only problem has been that most reading in physics as well as other scientific arenas, the authors asume you know so much already which I dont. I understand a lot and am quick to pick up things, I am often times at a loss for the starting info.. yaknow?

appreciate your help.

What is air compression?

Air compression is the process of increasing the pressure of air by decreasing its volume. This is typically done with a compressor, which uses mechanical work to compress the air.

What is water depth?

Water depth refers to the distance from the surface of a body of water to its bottom. It is typically measured in feet or meters.

How does air compression change with water depth?

As water depth increases, the pressure on the air above it also increases. This means that the air is compressed to a smaller volume due to the increased pressure from the water.

What are the effects of air compression at different water depths?

The effects of air compression at different water depths can vary depending on factors such as the type of compressor used and the composition of the air. In general, at greater depths, air will be compressed to a smaller volume and will have a higher pressure.

Can air compression be used to simulate the effects of water pressure on objects?

Yes, air compression can be used to simulate the effects of water pressure on objects. This can be done by using a pressure chamber to subject the object to the desired level of pressure, which can be equivalent to a specific water depth.