Register to reply

Dead and Live Loads

by quickzx
Tags: dead, live, loads
Share this thread:
quickzx
Oct14-09, 01:22 AM
P: 3
Hey guys im a first year civil engineering student and we have a project where we have to design a building! everything is all good except we havnt been taught anything at all about calculating an estimated weight for our designed building and how do get the dead and live loads the the columns will be under if the building was complete!
my question is does anybody know any basic formulas for guestimating a weight for my structure and how to calculate basic dead and live loads??

cheers!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers discover cool-burning flames in space, could lead to better engines on earth (w/ Video)
Professors object to FAA restrictions on drone use
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
stewartcs
Oct14-09, 11:27 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Quote Quote by quickzx View Post
Hey guys im a first year civil engineering student and we have a project where we have to design a building! everything is all good except we havnt been taught anything at all about calculating an estimated weight for our designed building and how do get the dead and live loads the the columns will be under if the building was complete!
my question is does anybody know any basic formulas for guestimating a weight for my structure and how to calculate basic dead and live loads??

cheers!
Local building codes will give you the dead and live loads. Other than that, your statics book should have some values listed.

CS
CarlAK
Oct14-09, 01:49 PM
P: 24
Guesstimate - 100 psf per floor, which includes dead + live loads.

Register to reply