Pinball Physics

by jasmine89
Tags: physics, pinball
jasmine89
Oct22-09, 06:29 AM
P: 5
Plz , Help me ... I have a project in the college ... I'm an IT student ...
I'm really tired of searching in the Net and books ... and yet I can find anything ...
I need to find physics for the motion of the pinball ...
I need Equations which i can explain and understand ... plz help me ....
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Dadface
Oct22-09, 07:20 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,002
Hello jasmine there is a lot of physics involved including kinetic energy and elastic and gravitational potential energy energy.You will also need some knowledge of Newtons laws and collisions.I tried gooling "physics of the pinball machine" and lots of hits came up including this thread.I suggest that you do the same,extract any information that may be useful,put it all together and if you have any difficulties come back here.There may be people who can help.
jasmine89
Oct22-09, 08:36 AM
Tnx , I dunno if I will find rules and equations in these pages about the rackets i mean the two pieces at the bottom of the game .... some people told me when they meet the ball it's Collision , and others called it throwing ...
and I'm so cofused & dunno which is the right !!! 'cos they say it's not a throwing (I dunno what it's called in physics :( ) because the ball moves on a background, so it can't be throwing ...
so If any one can give me the equations with a little explaination i'll be so thankfull

Dadface
Oct22-09, 09:01 AM
PF Gold

Pinball Physics

A rackets meeting a ball is best described as a collision and the physics of collisions can be quantified by Newtons laws of motion.Try searching "impulse and momentum change" and this should give you the information you need.
jasmine89
Oct22-09, 09:14 AM
Tnx , I will see all of these info .... U R Grt... tnx again
jasmine89
Nov5-09, 07:24 AM
Plz , help me s,till can' find the formullas for the pinball paddle ... any help?
i'm really exhausted ... i have to give the physics of the pinball to my teacher on Sunday....
Dadface
Nov5-09, 04:08 PM
PF Gold
Hello jasmine,you need to search for the physics of collisions.I doubt very much that you will find an article on pinball machines but you might try alternatives such as the physics of golf or the physics of tennis, the physics is basically the same whatever the collision.I googled and found several sites some of which I feel sure are at the level you need.You should also google "impulse and momentum change" for a suitable equation.Good luck.
jasmine89
Nov10-09, 10:50 AM
I was searching and searching via the net about ball to surafce collision ,,,
and i found this page in the lesson 30 in nehe's site but i couldn't understand it .. eventhough i spent a lot of time just trying to slove and find the meaning of the simblos
by the way , english isn't my first langauge , so plz if i made aany mistake in my explaninng , i peg ur pardon
here's the link :
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons....asp?lesson=30
plz , i need help , this project is driving me crazy and i have no experience in such things
and i'm so scare because of the result cos today our headmaster didn't like the physics that we've bring and we have to deliver it on Thrusday , and it's a dead line ...
plz , if any 1 can help me ... just let me know .... plz
this 's my email :
jasmine_442002@hotmail.com
----------------------
i just wanna tell y that i don't want y to explain the code
i just want to understand the physics ... clear equations which i can use simply in the coding ... if i reach that level
i hope i will with ur help , cos y know if the physics equations aren't right the game won't work .....
Dadface
Nov10-09, 03:04 PM
PF Gold
Hello jasmine.Sorry to hear you are having problems.I looked at the link you posted and it doesn't seem to be much help.The collisions you are dealing with are what are described as elastic collisions(approximately).In these collisions "kinetic energy" as well as "momentum" is conserved.Google these for details and equations.I found some google addresses that may be useful:
1.Elastic and inelastic collisions
2.Standard collision examples
(both of the above are from hyperphysics.phy.astr.gsu)
3.Real life applications momentum(from science clarified).Scroll down to the section entitled "crack of the bat".Good luck.

Register to reply