Euclidian topology ang cofinite topology

• Thread starter lindita
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, we need to prove that the Euclidean topology R is finer than the cofinite topology on R. This can be shown by considering an arbitrary open set U in the cofinite topology and finding an open interval I containing x but included in U. We can use the open interval centered at x with radius min(|x-x1|,|x-x2|,...,|x-xn|) to satisfy this. It is also known that if for every open set U in a topology T and every point x in U, we can find a set U' such that x is in U' and U' is open in the topology T', then T' is finer than T. In this case, we can show that
lindita
please can you help me to prove this exercise;
Prove that:
the Euclidean topology R is finer than the cofinite topology on R

please answer me as faster as u can I have an exame on monday and I don't know to provethis exercise!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider an arbitrary open set U in the cofinite topology. U is all of R except [itex]x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n[/itex]. Given some point [itex]x \in U[/itex] can you find an open interval I containing x, but included in U. That is [itex]x \in I \subseteq U[/itex] where I is open in the standard Euclidean topology and U is open in the cofinite topology. (HINT: can you show that the open interval centered at x with radius [itex]\min(|x-x_1|,|x-x_2|,\ldots,|x-x_n|)[/itex] works?)

It's a well-known theorem that if for every open set U in a topology T, and every point [itex]x\in U[/itex] we can find some set U' such that [itex]x \in U' \subseteq U[/itex] and U' is open in the topology T', then T' is finer than T.

rasmhop said:
Consider an arbitrary open set U in the cofinite topology. U is all of R except [itex]x_1,x_2,\ldots,x_n[/itex]. Given some point [itex]x \in U[/itex] can you find an open interval I containing x, but included in U. That is [itex]x \in I \subseteq U[/itex] where I is open in the standard Euclidean topology and U is open in the cofinite topology. (HINT: can you show that the open interval centered at x with radius [itex]\min(|x-x_1|,|x-x_2|,\ldots,|x-x_n|)[/itex] works?)

It's a well-known theorem that if for every open set U in a topology T, and every point [itex]x\in U[/itex] we can find some set U' such that [itex]x \in U' \subseteq U[/itex] and U' is open in the topology T', then T' is finer than T.

thank you! U had helped me a lot thanks thanks

Can you help me and for this exercise please!

the function f:(X,T)->(X,T') is continuous
the function f:(X,T')->(X,T) is open

{T is the Euclidean topology,T' is cofinite topology}
[the function f maybe is the identity function id but I am not sure]

lindita said:
Can you help me and for this exercise please!

the function f:(X,T)->(X,T') is continuous
the function f:(X,T')->(X,T) is open

{T is the Euclidean topology,T' is cofinite topology}
[the function f maybe is the identity function id but I am not sure]

I'm assuming that you're asked to prove the two statements.

If f is the identity function then you're just restating the result in the OP. That f:(X,T)->(X,T') is continuous means that for every set U open in T', the set [itex]f^{-1}(U) = U[/itex] is open in T. Hence this is equivalent to "if U is open in T', then U is open in T" which is just stating that T is finer than T'. The other statement is shown in exactly the same way.

If f is an arbitrary function then the result is not true because for every [itex]y \in X[/itex] we can let [itex]f_y : (X,T') \to (X,T)[/itex] be the constant function f(x) = y so [itex]f(X) = \{y\}[/itex] is open according to your second statement. Since every one-element set is open T is the discrete topology, but the Euclidean topology is different from the discrete topology (unless of course X consists solely of isolated points).

Thank you!

1. What is the difference between Euclidean topology and cofinite topology?

Euclidean topology is a type of topology that is based on the concept of open sets and their properties. It is used to study the properties of continuous functions and topological spaces. Cofinite topology, on the other hand, is a type of topology that is based on the concept of closed sets and their properties. It is commonly used to study finite and infinite sets, and their properties.

2. How are open sets defined in Euclidean topology?

In Euclidean topology, open sets are defined as sets that contain all the points within a given distance from a given point. This distance can be measured using a metric, such as the Euclidean distance, which is the shortest distance between two points in a straight line.

3. What are the main properties of Euclidean topology?

Some of the main properties of Euclidean topology include:

• Every open set is a union of open balls
  • The intersection of any finite number of open sets is also an open set
  • The union of any number of open sets is also an open set
  • A set is open if and only if its complement is closed

4. How are closed sets defined in cofinite topology?

In cofinite topology, closed sets are defined as sets that contain all the points that are not in a given open set. In other words, the complement of an open set is a closed set in cofinite topology.

5. What are the main properties of cofinite topology?

Some of the main properties of cofinite topology include:

• Every closed set is a union of finite sets
  • The intersection of any finite number of closed sets is also a closed set
  • The union of any number of closed sets is also a closed set
  • A set is closed if and only if its complement is open