What is the solution for the Continuity Equation at r=0?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an axisymmetric free jet problem with the continuity equation written in cylindrical coordinates. The problem arises at r=0, where there is a singularity point. The person is trying to obtain a finite difference scheme but is unsure how to deal with the singularity at r=0. They propose using a Taylor Series expansion to solve the issue.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi guys. I am solving the axisymmetric free jet of an incompressible fluid. But I have troubles at r=0. Continuty equation can be written in cylindrical coordinates as:

1/r*d(rv)/dr + du/dz=0

v=radial velocity (v=0 at r=0)
u=axial velocity.
hz=delta(z)
hr=delta(r)

What happens at r=0?. I have to obtain a finite difference scheme in order to integrate the problem, so I have created a grid that has "i" index for "z" coordinate and "j" index for "r" coordinate. j=1 corresponds to the symmetry axe.

for j>1 I have no problem because r>0. But in r=0 there is a singularity point. How can I deal with this?. As you can see I know v(i,1)=0

Physics news on Phys.org
1/r*d(vr)/dr+du/dz=0 =>

1/r*(v+r*dv/dr)+du/dz = v/r + dv/dr +du/dz

at r=0, v=0 ->

dv/dr + du/dz = 0

does this help?

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for your reply.

But it does not help me so much. At r=0, v=0, and it is undetermined. I have had time to investigate and it is dealed by expanding du/dr it in Taylor Series.

1. What is the Continuity Equation?

The Continuity Equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that states the total mass of a fluid entering and exiting a defined control volume must remain constant over time. This means that the rate of mass flow into the control volume must equal the rate of mass flow out of the control volume.

2. How is the Continuity Equation used in fluid dynamics?

The Continuity Equation is used to understand and analyze the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as pipes, pumps, and turbines. It helps to determine the flow rate, velocity, and pressure of a fluid at different points within a system.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Continuity Equation?

The Continuity Equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, meaning that its density remains constant, and that there are no sources or sinks of mass within the control volume. It also assumes that the flow is steady, meaning that the flow parameters do not change over time.

4. How is the Continuity Equation related to Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle states that in a steady flow, an increase in the speed of a fluid results in a decrease in pressure. The Continuity Equation is used to calculate the change in velocity of a fluid as it flows through a system, and this change in velocity can then be used to determine the change in pressure according to Bernoulli's Principle.

5. Can the Continuity Equation be applied to all types of fluids?

Yes, the Continuity Equation can be applied to all kinds of fluids, including liquids and gases. However, for compressible fluids, such as gases, additional equations, such as the Ideal Gas Law, may be needed to account for changes in density due to changes in pressure and temperature.